Katelyn's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

6192669
Sep 21, 2011

Read in September, 2011

1.Contemporary

2. Amos McGee is a loyal zookeeper, who has a rare relationship with the animals. One day Amos is too sick for work, the animals were confused by his absence. They went to Amos’s house and began to take care of him while he was sick. The animals all did what they could to help their loyal friend feel better.

3. A. This is a truly beautiful story. The illustrations are different, they colors are gentle, and nothing about them are invasive or complex. The calmness of the images help to unveil the innocent message of the story.

B. GOOD- The story reveals how simple it is to be a good friend, or help someone in need. This is a wonderful theme that both the illustrations and content display.
STRONG- The illustrator uses particular styles to help the pictures slow down, and capture particular, special moments. This is consistent throughout the book.
APPROPRIATE- Everything about this story is appropriate, I would like to make one comment on that. Because this is a positive message, and it’s appropriateness, this story can be read in any grade preK-6.

C. One example (which honestly made me cry) that supports the positive message, and appropriateness of this story is toward the end. When the shy penguin helped Amos by simply sitting on his feet, I cried! I thought it was so sweet because he was shy, but it was the only way he could help. I loved this book!

4. Amos McGee can be tied into some of the social skills that are taught in younger grades. Lessons on being a good friend, or being a good citizen could relate to this story. Maybe Amos Mcgee could be used as an introduction, followed by a discussion on the traits that made him a good friend or citizen. Also, can be used to simply discuss loyalty, patience, and friendship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Again I like these small glimpses at you, the reader.