C.R. Elliott's Reviews > Sociable

Sociable by Rebecca Harrington

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, fiction
Recommended for: anyone wanting a quick and entertaining read set roughly in the present time

*I received a copy of Sociable through NetGalley*

I give the book three stars because it reflects the Goodreads rating system which is that "I liked it". Sociable is one of those easy and quick reads that offers a window into a very specific moment in time and looks honestly at the people occupying that without getting hung up on exploring the depths of it all. And that's a good thing! It's an easy book to recommend because it could just as easily be a movie or short T.V. series as it is a book. Genuinely entertaining and topical.

That said, there's so much more to explore and so I can't give it more than three stars. The story centers on Elinor, Mike and some periphery characters they went to college with. Despite the lack of truly likeable characters the story lends itself to a social media world and in the banality of the characters there's a certain brilliance. I didn't like Elinor or Mike but because they both live as though they're the stars of their own little world there's a tension that makes them interesting. To that end, the pacing of the book was excellent and Harrington's storytelling was (relatively tight). There was one element in the book that I really disliked which was the third person voice talking to the reader--it felt weird but still worked in this particular story. I just personally did not enjoy it and would have been fine without the information revealed in this manner.

Sociable has precisely the sort of appeal of a Buzzfeed article or any quiz posted on Facebook. It is light and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sociable.

September 15, 2017 – Started Reading