Chris's Reviews > Wildman

Wildman by J.C. Geiger

bookshelves: life, not-graphic, ya, love

"No, that sounds great," Lance said. "Let's jump a train."

Was this really him? Had he just said that?
Lance has always lived by the rules. Thrived by them--he's a top achiever with a grand future. Always strategic, focused, disciplined, and pragmatic. But now his car has broken down in the middle of nowhere, leading him on an unexpected detour from his carefully planned path. A detour that allows him to to unexpectedly try out being someone different. Someone ruled by emotion, spontaneity, romance, and inspiration. Someone who gets tagged with the nickname "Wildman." And suddenly he realizes he gets to choose: is he going to be defined by the practical or by his passions?

This is nicely written and engaging, with an atmospheric tone that pulls the reader into feeling along with Lance that everything is off-balance and vaguely surreal.
"He carved a note into this tree," she said, fingers brushing over wounded bark. Dim slashes, still visible. "A question."

"What did it say?" His voice barely came out.

"Can you see me now."

"Can you see me now?"
Lance said. "What's that mean?"

"We can't ask him."

"What do you think it means?"

Her lips came together. She pressed her palm to the bark.

"I don't think anyone knew Lawrence Unger," she said. "He was like a ghost, all by himself in a big, lonely house."

"And now he is a ghost," Lance said. More rattle-scampering. He looked up, but couldn't find the squirrel.

"Yeah," she said. "It's a problem, wanting to be seen. That's got to be why ghosts haunt. You spend all day with living, breathing people, but no one notices you. Maybe if you're a ghost you try to whisper first. Or sit on the edge of someone's bed. But after a while, you'd have to scream. Throw things around. I think you'd be willing to scare the living shit out of someone just so they'd finally see you."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildman.

Quotes Chris Liked

“It's a problem, wanting to be seen. That's got to be why ghosts haunt. You spend all day with living, breathing people, but no one notices you. Maybe if you're a ghost you try to whisper first. Or sit on the edge of someone's bed. But after a while, you'd have to scream. Throw things around. I think you'd be willing to scare the living shit out of someone just so they'd finally see you.”
J.C. Geiger, Wildman