Esil's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3643764
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: audiobook

When I finish a book, I usually write a review almost instantly and I do it quickly trying to go from the gut. For some reason, I've been dawdling over my review of What Happened.

I listened to the audio as I walked to and from work over the last several weeks. In parallel, being the news junky that I am, I have watched the ongoing craziness south of the border. This is not a perfect book and Hillary Clinton is not perfect, but Jeez Louise, really?

My favourite parts of the book are those where she speaks about who she is -- her family, her personality, her education and early career, Bill and Chelsea, and her core values. She comes across as polished, careful and reserved, but also as caring and compassionate. If this is who she is, surely these are all qualities that would have made her an excellent president.

Not to mention her intelligence, deep understanding and commitment to so many issues. And I love her concluding call for "deep empathy" -- the need for people to try to understand each other and try to work together across their differences -- a concept that resonates acutely with me.

The middle felt a bit saggy, which explains my 4 stars. There was a bit too much rehashing and discussion about issues that felt an awful lot like she was still on the campaign trail.

But, again, what a missed opportunity for Americans and the world. And what an amazing role model she would have been for our daughters...

Clinton reads the audio herself. It's well worth listening to her tell her story in her own voice.
97 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

September 16, 2017 – Shelved
September 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 16, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
October 7, 2017 – Started Reading
November 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, Esil. I am definitely planning on listening to the audio of this.


message 2: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Terrific review, Esil!


Esil Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Great review, Esil. I am definitely planning on listening to the audio of this."

Thanks Jennifer. I hope you get as much out of it as I did.


Esil Thanks Crumb!


message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Super review, Esil.


message 6: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Terrific review. I agree with what you said about missed opportunity for America and the world. Not sure if I want to read this though.


Lynn Great review! An absolute missed opportunity for us and the world. I am trying to imagine the absence of tweets...


Esil Diane S ☔ wrote: "Super review, Esil."

Thanks Diane!


Esil Bianca wrote: "Terrific review. I agree with what you said about missed opportunity for America and the world. Not sure if I want to read this though."

Thanks Bianca. I understand your reluctance. It took a few enthusiastic reviews to convince me.


message 10: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Lynn wrote: "Great review! An absolute missed opportunity for us and the world. I am trying to imagine the absence of tweets..."

Thanks Lynn!


message 11: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Excellent review, Esil! I think of how much things have changed, not for the better, in the past almost year. I plan on reading this, just can't bring myself to dwell even more on the politics these days.


message 12: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Cheri wrote: "Excellent review, Esil! I think of how much things have changed, not for the better, in the past almost year. I plan on reading this, just can't bring myself to dwell even more on the politics thes..."

Thanks Cheri. I completely understand. It is worth it when you feel up to it.


message 13: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May Great review! So glad she is focusing on “Onward, Together”. We need to make something positive happen... together.


message 14: by Panagiotis (new)

Panagiotis Great review !


message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Great review, Esil!! I'll have to read this book someday, but I'm still not ready emotionally.


☮Karen Love your review, Esil.


Betsy Robinson Great idea to listen to it going to and from work. I love the symbolism. Nice review, Esil.


message 18: by Theresa Alan (new)

Theresa Alan "what a missed opportunity for Americans and the world." Yep! Great review.


message 19: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil May wrote: "Great review! So glad she is focusing on “Onward, Together”. We need to make something positive happen... together."

Thanks May. The forward focus is only at the end, but definitely necessary.


message 20: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Panagiotis wrote: "Great review !"

Thanks Panagiotis!


message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen She was here recently in T.O, Esil. A few friends saw here and said she was amazing. Sounds fascinating but I'm not as drawn to the U.S politics as you are. I'll pass on this one but appreciate your thoughts.


message 22: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Jen wrote: "She was here recently in T.O, Esil. A few friends saw here and said she was amazing. Sounds fascinating but I'm not as drawn to the U.S politics as you are. I'll pass on this one but appreciate you..."

I would have loved to hear her. Thanks Jen!


message 23: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana I listened to it to, Esil, and felt the same. My favorite parts where those of her personal life. I am thinking of changing mine to a 4 Star, as well, because of the middle. I did love hearing it in her own voice and I’m still so sad over the outcome of our election. Such a huge loss.


message 24: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Dana wrote: "I listened to it to, Esil, and felt the same. My favorite parts where those of her personal life. I am thinking of changing mine to a 4 Star, as well, because of the middle. I did love hearing it i..."
Thank you so much for your comment, Dana. I wavered between 4 and 5 stars, but decided that 4 was closer to how I felt about the book overall. But still definitely worth listening to!


message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Wonderful review, Esil. Ah, how different things would have been....

I have to escape into fiction, but maybe someday I'll try reading this. I love how you sum up her good qualities. I like that she pushes empathy.


message 26: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Debbie wrote: "Wonderful review, Esil. Ah, how different things would have been....

I have to escape into fiction, but maybe someday I'll try reading this. I love how you sum up her good qualities. I like that ..."


Thanks Debbie! I completely understand your need to seek ou fiction!


Susanne Strong Great review Esil! I read this and loved it. I too so agreed that the parts where we learn about HRC and who she actually is stood out. If only..


message 28: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Susanne wrote: "Great review Esil! I read this and loved it. I too so agreed that the parts where we learn about HRC and who she actually is stood out. If only.."

Thanks Susanne! So glad you loved it.


message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Fantastic review, Esil! I tried to listen to this twice. It was too upsetting for me. So much fake news and Russian intervention. I swear most of us want the orange peril gone! I can only imagine what it is like watching it from another country.


message 30: by Melissa (last edited Nov 09, 2017 04:49AM) (new)

Melissa I can't wait to listen to this! YES . . . "what a missed opportunity for Americans and the world. And what an amazing role model she would have been for our daughters..." I couldn't agree more. Lovely review, Esil. 💜


message 31: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Melissa wrote: "I can't wait to listen to this! YES . . . "what a missed opportunity for Americans and the world. And what an amazing role model she would have been for our daughters..." I couldn't agree more. Lov..."

Thank you so much, Melissa. I hope you find it as worthwhile as I did.


message 32: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Jennifer wrote: "Fantastic review, Esil! I tried to listen to this twice. It was too upsetting for me. So much fake news and Russian intervention. I swear most of us want the orange peril gone! I can only imagine w..."

Thanks Jennifer. I completely understand!


message 33: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Karin wrote: "Amen! I am very worried about us and this president. While I wasn’t crazy about her, I felt she was the far better candidate."

Thanks Karen. And I must say that things seem to get scarier by the day.


back to top