Heather's Reviews > Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think

Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids by Bryan Caplan

Sep 21, 2011

Read in June, 2011

I heard the author interviewed and was intrigued with his ideas, but I didn't think they would change the way I saw the world. I checked it out as a fun read and for parenting inspiration, and because I basically agree with the title. I was surprised when I read it how disturbed I was by the twin studies that he used to assert that much of what we do as parents has little lasting effect. Most of how our children turn out as adults is due to genetics and their own free will. The best things we can do for our kids are to choose wisely who you decide to parent with and to give them happy memories of their childhoods with security and kindness. That really does put a different spin on parenting--and it made me appreciate my own parents.. It was also interesting to see him take an economists' argument that therefore, children are a relative bargain and you should stock up on them. You should decide how many children you would like when you are 60, not how many you would like right now. I did like that perspective of taking the very long view. After all, children are a long term investment in anyone's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids.