Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Do This For Me: A Novel

Do This For Me by Eliza Kennedy

bookshelves: arcs-manuscripts, books-i-own-on-kindle, netgalley-edition, read-general-fiction

I grabbed this one off Netgalley as a whim, and it was a bit of a roller coaster. A high-powered attorney learns that her husband is cheating on her, and the reaction is one equally of scorched earth and self-discovery. She has to balance her work and her kids and the expectations surrounding her life while also dealing with the obvious, and she effectively balances on a knife’s edge for much of the story.

I think this was a fun read on a whole, and when it was working well, it worked really well. It was both realistic and unrealistic, which was a bit of a problem for me as I really wanted the story to just lean in on one direction or the other, but it was an ultimately minor flaw. Making an unlikeable protagonist both sympathetic and someone you can’t believe is doing what they’re doing is a tough one to accomplish, but Eliza Kennedy pulls it off in the end.

This probably falls under the sort of women’s fiction/”chick lit” umbrella in a way, but it’s a little more substantive than the candy that the genre ultimately implies. It won’t be for everyone, but this absolutely worked for me on a whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do This For Me.

September 16, 2017 – Started Reading