Shelley's Reviews > Don't Hex with Texas

Don't Hex with Texas by Shanna Swendson

Apr 29, 2008

bookshelves: chicklitromance, fantasy

It took me a month to track this down. It was worth it, but I have such issues with this series. The writing isn't up to par, and the main characters (Katie and Owen) could be renamed Mary Sue and Marty Stu. Still, I remain charmed by the series and am sad that the publishers won't buy the fifth and last book in the series. This book resolved some of the arcs, but not all of them.

I can't quite blame them, though. The writing does feel amateurish - there is so much telling instead of showing, it's unbelievable. And every time Owen blushed (perhaps every other page), we had to read about how it made him even cuter. It was distracting. This book (and series, really) lends itself well to a drinking game - every time Katie makes a ponytail, mentions how cute Owen is, mentions how shy and charming Owen is, mentions how powerful Owen is, mentions how Owen is so powerful but is so modest about it, mentions how everyone is instantly attracted to how gorgeous Owen is, etc, take a drink. You'd be drunk by chapter three. (And frankly, I don't think Owen is all that special - I prefer Rod, his best friend, who actually seems vaguely realistic.)

This seems pretty bitchy and negative, but honestly, I like this series. It's just that I read her blog and know she can be a better writer than what these books show. There's so much potential that is nearly completely unrealized.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Hex with Texas.

April 29, 2008 – Shelved