Susan's Reviews > Camp H.O.W.L.

Camp H.O.W.L. by Bru Baker

liked it
bookshelves: arc, gbr, mm, shifters

This could have been better. And it started out so promising!

Every 19 year old werewolf will turn for the first time with the first moon after their 19th birthday. Well, except for Adrian. As the son of a very powerful Alpha, he feels like he disappointed his mother. But 7 years later he has accepted that he is and will always be human. So when he gets flu-like symptoms he is not thing about turning at all. But when he faints in the middle of the street and ends up in the hospital he recognizes the symptoms. Since he was on a business trip he is not near his pack so Adrian has no idea what to do.

And that’s where Tate comes in. Tate is a 32 year old counselor at camp H.O.W.L. A camp where young werewolves go through their first Turn. They might even bond with each other and end up with a Turnmate. All the counselors encourage the bonding, since it will help with the Turn.

But what Tate doesn’t expect is to feel an instant connection with Adrian once he walks into the hospital to pick him up and take him to camp with him. Once Adrian is settled at the camp it is very clear to all the other counselors that Adrian and Tate share a bond. And that’s why they want Tate to help Adrian with his Turn. But Tate doesn’t want to be a Turnmate. And he most definitely doesn’t want a Moonmate, which is very rare, but seems to be the thing with Adrian…

This book centers around one major thing and one thing only: Tate’s reluctance to have a mate and to be anything to Adrian. At first I was on board with this and could understand the hows and whys based on Tate’s past. But unfortunately this went on and on. And on. When I got to 90% and these guys were still no further in their relationship than at 25% I got tired of this book. In the last 10% we got some kissing, a frotting job (which was VERY short and disappointing, but they talked about it as if it was something AMAZING), and a very tentative HEA. I mean, Tate was such a guarded person, and he still was at the end. No hearts and flowers anywhere. Only a, yes sure, I love him and we’re in a committed relationship.

After all the time Tate pushed Adrian away I wanted some real romance, but we didn’t get it. I really wanted Tate to give in a little sooner. I wouldn’t say this book was angsty, because these guys build a solid friendship despite Tate not wanting to be mates. But I wouldn’t call this book romantic either. And I just wanted some romance because the rest of this story was quite good. So 3 stars it is.

------------------------------

An ARC of camp H.O.W.L. was generously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review has been cross-posted at Gay Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camp H.O.W.L..

September 15, 2017 – Shelved
September 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 24, 2017 – Started Reading
September 24, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
September 24, 2017 – Shelved as: gbr
September 24, 2017 – Shelved as: mm
September 24, 2017 – Shelved as: shifters
September 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review babe ;) xoxo

* A Reader Obsessed * Thanks for the review! I don't think I have the patience to wait til 90% without the romance :(

Susan R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "Thanks for the review! I don't think I have the patience to wait til 90% without the romance :("

I might be the only one who feels that way? It was frustrating for me though. I couldn't believe they still weren't together at 90%.

* A Reader Obsessed * I'm currently listening to a dreamspun desires book and there's been one chaste kiss and I'm at 80% without any romance or declaration. Ugh. Soooo I'm guessing it is what it is regarding some of this series and its trope constraints.

You still with us (Meags and Val) for Northcote?

Susan Oh yes, totally. That's tomorrow, right?

Susan Ooooh I see it's out. Just bought it! When do we start?

* A Reader Obsessed * I'm guessing we'll start tomorrow! But you and Val are super readers - I'll be tagging along but no worries!!! Lol

Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈ I may be slow this time. It could happen. 😁

Meags BUDDY READ!! Wooo hooooo!

Kathleen Really nice review, Susan.

Susan Thanks Kathleen. :D

Meags 100% agree with this review, Susan. Yep. It went on and on and on........ whoops, I nodded off there.

Susan Meags wrote: "100% agree with this review, Susan. Yep. It went on and on and on........ whoops, I nodded off there."

I had to read my review to remember what it was actually about. ;)