Melanie's Reviews > The Ghostwriter

The Ghostwriter by A.R. Torre

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, read-in-2017, dnf

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF @ 56%

You guys, this book put me in a book slump. I have been trying for two weeks to pick this back up, and I just can’t motivate myself. I loved and gave five stars to both Black Lies and Sex Love Repeat by Alessandra, but this, unfortunately, just didn’t work for me.

This is also the first ARC I’ve ever DNFed, so I kind of feel horrible. But life is too short to force yourself to read a book, ARC or not.

This story is about an author who is dying, but before she passes away she wants to write one final story. And this final story will be about the truth of what happened to her husband, which no one else knows but her. Unfortunately, her illness is coming quicker than expected, so she is forced to hire a ghostwriter to help her. And dark secrets and mystery ensue.

But, at 56% in, I just feel like nothing has happened. I’m not hooked or invested in this grand mystery thriller, I am bored and just wanted it to be over. I think a mini romance is happening. Maybe? I don’t even know. But I am so uninterested, I don’t even care. And honestly, I’m fine never knowing what happened to her family, too.

I’ve read and enjoyed a lot of Alessandra Torre’s books, I also really love her as a person. It makes me really sad to DNF this, and I’m not even sure why I didn’t like this so much. Maybe it was just too different? Maybe I just prefer her erotic romances? I don’t know, but I hope if you guys pick this one up that you enjoy it more than I did.

Here are a few reviews by some of my lovely friends, who really enjoyed The Ghostwriter:
Nenia’s Review
Maddie’s Review
Sher’s Review
Loyda’s Review
Natalie’s Review

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghostwriter.

September 15, 2017 – Shelved
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
September 23, 2017 –
October 7, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
October 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Maddie wrote: "AH wow - congrats :) xo"

Thanks, Maddie! 💛✨ xx

You should totally request and ARC here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ Enjoy Melanie ❥ xo

message 4: by Coco.V (new) - added it

Coco.V Enjoy, Melanie! xx

message 5: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "I got this too!"

I think I'm going to DNF this! I'm so sorry, but it's totally putting me in a book slump, and I cannot afford that right now, haha! But I'm going to link your AMAZING review in my review, Nenia! 🍂🎃💛xx

message 6: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Coco.V wrote: "Enjoy, Melanie! xx"

Awh, thank you so much, Coco! This one just did not work for me at all! 🍂🎃💛xx

Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell Aww, thank you so much for linking me, Melanie! I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy this more, but I hope your next read is better. :-)

message 8: by Melanie (last edited Oct 07, 2017 08:20PM) (new) - added it

Melanie Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "Aww, thank you so much for linking me, Melanie! I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy this more, but I hope your next read is better. :-)"

You are so beyond welcome, love, and thank you! Happy reading! 💗xx

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Bummer, hun! Great honest review

message 10: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "Bummer, hun! Great honest review"

Thank you so much, Maria! Thank God for never ending TBRs! Hehe! Happy reading, beautiful! 💗xx

Brenda Cody Sorry you didn't like or finish this one. I had a different experience entirely. Torres warns that it's not a romance and she's absolutely right. Maybe someday you'll go back to it and see it to the end... but maybe not and that's ok too. That's the beauty of reading. We all experience the beauty of the words in our own way.

message 12: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Brenda wrote: "Sorry you didn't like or finish this one. I had a different experience entirely. Torres warns that it's not a romance and she's absolutely right. Maybe someday you'll go back to it and see it to th..."

You're always so sweet and kind, Brenda! I don't know why this didn't work for me, but it makes me sad! But your five star review truly makes me want to pick it back up... maybe one day! Happy reading, love! 💗xx