Veronica's Reviews > Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy: The Story of Little Women and Why It Still Matters

Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy by Anne Boyd Rioux

A fascinating history of Louisa May Alcott and "Little Women," just in time for the book's 150th anniversary. While I've read more than my share of Alcott biographies, I don't think I've ever read critical analysis of "Little Women." It was a fun read for me, the author dissected the book, offered historical references, character sketches, and showed the influence it had on various authors, books, movies and TV shows (Gilmore Girls, which is one of my all-time favorites). I intend to read Rioux's book on Constance Fenimore Woolson, another woman writer of the 19th century next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy.

September 15, 2017 – Shelved
September 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
August 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Sounds interesting! I must get a copy of this. Love Little Women :)

Veronica Katie wrote: "Sounds interesting! I must get a copy of this. Love Little Women :)"

It is, its really good! Little Women is one of my favorites too!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie :) Still such a great story. Have you read the other books in the series too?

Veronica Katie wrote: ":) Still such a great story. Have you read the other books in the series too?"

I haven't. I sort of know what happens though. Have you read anything else by Louisa? I read Work, An Old Fashion Girl, Eight Cousins, and Rose in Bloom a lifetime ago, but they were really good.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie Little Men is quite good.. Jo's Boys is much less optimistic, though. Louisa was older and the book reflects that. I love An Old Fashioned Girl. Rose in Bloom and Eight Cousins not so much, though. They're OK, but she's not at the height of her powers with them. I've also read a short story called Scarlet Stockings, which I liked.

Veronica Katie wrote: "Little Men is quite good.. Jo's Boys is much less optimistic, though. Louisa was older and the book reflects that. I love An Old Fashioned Girl. Rose in Bloom and Eight Cousins not so much, though...."

I'll have to give Little Men a try. I have an old copy that belonged to my aunt when she was a little girl and she loved it. I'll have to look up Scarlet Stockings. She was such a productive writer, I don't know how she did all she did.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Yeah. I suppose coming from a family that supported her writing helped.