Jaidee's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: four-ana-half-stars-books
Recommended to Jaidee by: Jaidee did lol
Recommended for: Americans who want to live in a peaceful and just society

4.5 "intelligent, insightful, healing" stars !!

2017 Honorable Mention Read

I am not one to follow politics and yet this last election in the USA had me riveted. I could not believe what I was seeing and hearing in the land to the south of us. A tyrannical man was not only nominated but in the end, he won. How could this be ? What does this mean for my American friends and my native land of Canada ?

I took Ms. Hilary Clinton with me to Europe in order to find out her perspective. I was not expecting much as I did not think much of her but through reading this book my opinion for her has changed as well as feeling a lot of empathy for her difficult experience and the affection I feel for her policies, viewpoints and ways of being in the world.

Ms. Clinton is a very talented writer that guides the reader from beginning to end, her experience of the past presidential election. She talks about minutiae such as her wardrobe choices and the food they eat on the road to explanations of very complicated events that make sense and are surprisingly well-balanced, gracious and fair !!

Ms. Clinton comes across as extremely intelligent, hardworking, collaborative, caring but also a bit smug, perhaps arrogant. I imagine some of this is for self-preservation. Imagine having many millions of people hating you, vilifying you at times even harassing and persecuting you. You need a thick skin and a good sense of self and values in order to survive that.

I appreciate her policies around healthcare, women and children, workers, people of color and LGBT rights. She is a wise feminist that loves men but also understands the limitations and constraints of WASP heterosexist patriarchal systems. She does not vilify these groups but wants to understand their frustrations with the many social changes that they too are experiencing. I am very proud of her for that. She also believes in fiscal responsibility and is a stickler for policy and policy change. I think a blind spot for her is her relative privilege and that she sometimes minimizes how immensely wealthy she and her family are and how most people do have to struggle a bit more in the day to day than she does. This is not a criticism, simply an observation.

I think Hilary was strong enough to admit her errors in misreading particular segments of society but most of all for underestimating the Donald's appeal to many segments of disgruntled American society.

Don't get me started on the email scandal which was a complete witch hunt ! Ridiculous !

I am very proud that she has run for president and although I am not certain that she would have been one of the greats she certainly would have tried her best and kept her love of America front and foremost in her decision making.

Hilary...ya I do...I wanna give you a great big Hug !!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

September 15, 2017 – Started Reading
October 17, 2017 –
October 19, 2017 –
November 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2017 – Shelved as: four-ana-half-stars-books

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 1: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Fantastic review, as always. I think given her many accomplishments she's earned the right to be smug. Aren't you happy to be a Canadian? :-)

Jaidee Bianca wrote: "Fantastic review, as always. I think given her many accomplishments she's earned the right to be smug. Aren't you happy to be a Canadian? :-)"

Yes Bianca....Ms. Clinton is remarkably accomplished and brilliant. I am unsure why I did not realize this before and I am so glad I read this terrific book.

And yes....being in Canada is like winning the lottery in many ways :)

message 3: by Will (new)

Will What Bianca said - a great review Jaidee. If it weren't for the fact that I feel saturated with US politics this year - it's inescapable! - I would put this on my TBR list.

Jaidee Will wrote: "What Bianca said - a great review Jaidee. If it weren't for the fact that I feel saturated with US politics this year - it's inescapable! - I would put this on my TBR list."

Thanks so much Will :)

message 5: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit If this book changed your perspective on Hilary, it must be good Jaidee. Excellent review. :)

Jaidee Paromjit wrote: "If this book changed your perspective on Hilary, it must be good Jaidee. Excellent review. :)"

with thanks dear Paromjit :)

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Love your review and your perspective. You are sooo lucky you live in Canada!

Jaidee Debbie wrote: "Love your review and your perspective. You are sooo lucky you live in Canada!"

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Jaidee wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Love your review and your perspective. You are sooo lucky you live in Canada!"

TY Debbie....you will have another president soon and America will turn around !"

Oh do I hope that’s true!

message 10: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Jaidee , I could not believe what I was seeing either and still cannot believe the US is where it is today so not just you looking from Canada! Terrific review. I will read this at some point.

Jaidee Angela M wrote: "Jaidee , I could not believe what I was seeing either and still cannot believe the US is where it is today so not just you looking from Canada! Terrific review. I will read this at some point."

Ty Angela....i found this very enlightening 😊

message 12: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Fantastic review, Jaidee!

Jaidee Crumb wrote: "Fantastic review, Jaidee!"

Appreciate that Crumb !

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Great review! Wow

Jaidee Stacey wrote: "Great review! Wow"

Thank you Stacey....appreciate that nice comment :)

Larry H Great review, Jaidee! I loved this and want to give her a hug, too!!

Jaidee Larry wrote: "Great review, Jaidee! I loved this and want to give her a hug, too!!"

Group Hug...lol !!

message 18: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I love your review, Jaidee. I just listened to this one as an audio and also wanted to give Hillary a hug many times throughout.

Jaidee Esil wrote: "I love your review, Jaidee. I just listened to this one as an audio and also wanted to give Hillary a hug many times throughout."

Ty dear Esil....in this scary world we all need lots of hugs !

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Welcome back, Jaidee!
I bet you've left all the unpacking to your partner, as usual. ; )
Super review!

Jaidee Kevin wrote: "Welcome back, Jaidee!
I bet you've left all the unpacking to your partner, as usual. ; )
Super review!"

Thanx Kevin and ya he loves to unpack and take care of his sweet Jaidee lolol.

message 22: by Joe (new)

Joe Valdez Terrific review, Jaidee. I'd welcome an impartial account of the 2016 election to balance Clinton's version of events, but I agree that she is a gifted policymaker, strong writer and possesses a terrific self-depreciating wit about herself.

Jaidee Joe wrote: "Terrific review, Jaidee. I'd welcome an impartial account of the 2016 election to balance Clinton's version of events, but I agree that she is a gifted policymaker, strong writer and possesses a te..."

Thanks Joe...appreciate that....and very nice to meet you !

Susanne Strong Love your review Jaidee!. I loved this book. I admit it... I was personally affected by the election, by HRC’s loss and still am. I feel that we truly got to know Secretary Clinton via reading What Happened. I so value your thoughts on this book, HRC, and the state of politics in the US, not living in this nation. Thank you for that. :)

message 25: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Jaidee, thanks for such a beautiful and candid review. I haven't found the time needed to read this book, but I definitely plan to.

Jaidee Susanne wrote: "Love your review Jaidee!. I loved this book. I admit it... I was personally affected by the election, by HRC’s loss and still am. I feel that we truly got to know Secretary Clinton via reading What..."

Thanks so much for your comment and being a lovely goodreads friend !! I hope you had a lovely and heartwarming thanksgiving !

Jaidee LaDonna wrote: "Jaidee, thanks for such a beautiful and candid review. I haven't found the time needed to read this book, but I definitely plan to."

Thanx kindly LaDonna....very good to meet you :)

message 28: by Jessaka (last edited Dec 23, 2017 06:21AM) (new)

Jessaka While i never cared for her personality i always remember how she tried to give us all healthcare. I voted for Bernie, and then for her. It's been a rotten year. I really liked your review.

Jaidee Jessaka wrote: "While i never cared for her personality i always remember hoow she tried to give us all healthcae. I voted for Bernie, and then for her. Itts been a rotten year. I really liked your review."

Thanks so much dear Jessaka. Happy holidays to you and your family !!

message 30: by Jessaka (new)

Jessaka And to yours

message 31: by Debbie "DJ" (new)

Debbie "DJ" Love your review Jaidee!

Jaidee Debbie "DJ" wrote: "Love your review Jaidee!"

Thanx DJ....hope you are good !!