Cassidy (Reminders of the Changing Time)'s Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

bookshelves: reviewed, own-physical-copy
Read 2 times. Last read October 29, 2017 to October 31, 2017.

Happy Halloween, guys!
My goal to read a true classic associated with the holiday has been a complete success and I'm seriously considering turning it into a yearly tradition. I'm thinking maybe The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde?
To say this re-read has been a surprising (and if I'm being honest, a rather moving) experience would be an understatement. Where I used to find fear in this book, now I find unbelievable sadness - certainly I've changed a lot since GCSE History.
Mary Shelley is a true literary legend and it angers me that, up until recently, she was only thought of as the wife of a more talented man... but how could any person who has read even just one line of this evocative prose ever think that?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

Quotes Cassidy Liked

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
“Even broken in spirit as he is, no one can feel more deeply than he does the beauties of nature. The starry sky, the sea, and every sight afforded by these wonderful regions, seems still to have the power of elevating his soul from earth. Such a man has a double existence: he may suffer misery, and be overwhelmed by disappointments; yet, when he has retired into himself, he will be like a celestial spirit that has a halo around him, within whose circle no grief or folly ventures.”

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
“It is true, we shall be monsters, cut off from all the world; but on that account we shall be more attached to one another.”

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
“Nothing is more painful to the human mind than, after the feelings have been worked up by a quick succession of events, the dead calmness of inaction and certainty which follows and deprives the soul both of hope and fear.”

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
“Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be his world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.”

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
“I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.”

Finished Reading
September 15, 2017 – Shelved
October 28, 2017 –
4.0% "How better to celebrate the run up to Halloween than by reading Frankenstein?"
October 28, 2017 –