JoJo's Reviews > Desperate Bride

Desperate Bride by A.S. Fenichel

bookshelves: 2017, arc, ebook, netgalley

Dorothea (Dory) Flammel is in a tough spot. Having rejected too many eligible men over the course of several seasons, her options are limited. Then, she is not given any option at all as her father makes an agreement for her hand in marriage in exchange for the forgiveness of his enormous debt. To a very old man. The man who is known for his wandering eye and misogyny.

Thomas Wheel has loved hearing Dory play the pianoforte, especially when she does not know other people are in the room. They have been friends for many years and has snuck in to hear her play many times. But he is below her in rank and would not embarrass her by making his feelings known. So what is he to do when she runs to his house in the middle of the night begging him to marry her?

Dory and Thomas are big supporting characters in the last two books and their romance was hinted at several times, so it was very exciting to see their own love story come together in this book. As read in the previous 2 novels in this series, Dory has a hard time trusting others, but is a fiercely loyal friend. Thomas always does the right thing and is a selfless friend to the gentlemen in the previous books. Since I started reading this series, I have been anxiously waiting for Thomas' own love story. I just KNEW he would be perfectly romantic and I was swooning through these pages (especially the part where he brushed her hair for her!). I did not expect, but was also pleased with, him to be a progressive feminist for the time period that they are in which added to his perfection. It also was perfect for his romance with Dory as she had been told her whole life that her musical talent is useless because she is a woman as well as been treated as property rather than as a woman. Therefore, Thomas treating her as an equal seems too good to be true and she has a hard time trusting the situation that they were thrown in.

A.S. Fenichel does a wonderful job of creating characters that develop through love, on both sides of the romance, and are incredibly endearing. Although these books could be read as standalone, in my opinion, it is fun if they have been read in order as I did find myself squealing in excitement when the main characters in previous books were referenced or made an appearance.

I would recommend this book for all fans of historical romance, especially those who also enjoy unexpected twists and/or steamy love making scenes. I would also recommend this book for those who enjoy elements of music intertwined with romance.

On the other hand, I would not recommend this book for those who may be triggered or offended by explicitly sexual scenarios, mild foul language, misogyny, or violence.

Please note: an electronic copy of this book was generously provided for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to A.S. Fenichel not only for writing this fantastic story, but also for posting on Facebook when the book was available on NetGalley :)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperate Bride.

March 3, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
September 15, 2017 – Started Reading
September 15, 2017 – Shelved
September 15, 2017 –
35.0% "I have been so excited to start this book! I have been waiting this whole trilogy for Tom's romance as he has been my favorite character all along! I just KNEW he'd be so sweet and romantic. Please excuse me while I swoon <3 :D

[image error]"
September 15, 2017 –
35.0% "I have been waiting this whole trilogy for Tom's love story- he has been my favorite character! I just KNEW he'd be perfect. Please excuse me while I swoon <3 :D

via GIPHY

"
35.0% "I just KNEW Tom would be perfectly romantic in his own story

via GIPHY

"
September 15, 2017 –
35.0% "I just KNEW Tom would be perfectly romantic, especially in his own love story. I have been waiting the whole trilogy for this!
[image error]"
September 15, 2017 –
35.0% "Tom has been my favorite character this whole trilogy and I am so excited to start this book about his love story. I just KNEW he'd be perfect.

description"