Ann's Reviews > The Infinite Plan

Apr 29, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Natalia
Read in April, 2008

Isabel Allende is fantastic. This novel is written much later than Eva Luna and House of Spirits, and you can tell. It's basically the same type of story, only instead the protagonist is a man and it takes place in the 21st century in California. Which is pretty cool since a lot of the book takes place in the bay area. This book overall goes all over the place- the beginning of the book doesn't seem to match up at all with where the story goes. For example, it starts out with a traveling preacher/artist with his family, but then all of the sudden they live in an LA barrio, there's random sexual abuse, and it just switches and turns a little too haphazardly for my taste. Also it doesn't have the same sort of mystical realism as the other books; I think that's mainly due to the whole 21st century setting though. It's almost as if Allende was just marking off topics on her list- barrio living, Vietnam, Berkeley, feminists, lawyers, jewelry makers. Check check check. But overall the stories and lives of his circle of family and friends and the inevitable life lessons that Isabel preaches at you aren't that bad. Her overall focus and politics are so very Berkeley; I speculate that's where Allende lives- for example, she included two female cook characters that seem a lot like Alice Waters. Anyway. Not my favorite of her novels, but still a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinite Plan.