Nat's Reviews > peluda

peluda by Melissa Lozada-Oliva

liked it
bookshelves: arc, poetry, diverse-reads, yellow-books

Humorous and biting, personal and communal, self-deprecating and unapologetically self-loving, peluda (meaning “hairy” or “hairy beast”) is the poet at her best. The book explores the relationship between femininity and body hair as well as the intersections of family, class, the immigrant experience, Latina identity, and much more, all through Lozada-Oliva’s unique lens and striking voice. peluda is a powerful testimony on body image and the triumph over taboo.

“the loser of the war: has the best memory.
the winner: gets to forget.”

What originally caught my attention with this collection was the vibrantly powerful book cover:

Peluda-- bookspoils
Then, as always, I looked the author up online to see if any memorable quotes of hers were shared. And was taken back by quite a gripping one:

Source

I continued on with raised expectations that were mostly met with the occasional poem here and there in the collection. Such as:

Peluda 2-- bookspoils

The highlighted responses made my mouth drop with surprise. An utterly strong poem from start to finish.

Peluda 1-- bookspoils

Peluda 3-- bookspoils

This one poem cemented my decision to check out the first season of Jessica Jones.
description
This collection full of creativity, feminism, love, bodies would be recommend for anyone looking to spruce up their poetry shelf.

ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Expected publication: September 26th, 2017

Note: I'm an Amazon Affiliate. If you're interested in buying Peluda, just click on the image below to go through my link. I'll make a small commission!

Support creators you love. Buy a Coffee for nat (bookspoils) with Ko-fi.com/bookspoils

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read peluda.

September 15, 2017 – Started Reading