Ljuke's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Sep 14, 2017

liked it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

09/14 marked as: read

message 1: by BMK (new)

BMK Didn't you start reading that about 5 years ago?

Ljuke Yep. And I have no idea when I finished it. I was reading a review of it and realised that I'd read all of the stories in it at some point.

message 3: by BMK (new)

BMK You seem to be on a real King jag at the moment. Can you tell the difference in his older and newer work?

Ljuke Everything up until IT is pretty dark and bitter. As in, they lack some of the sympathy for his characters that he gets to later. From there until Dreamcatcher is (drug-fueled) insanity. I think he actually got sober much earlier than Dreamcatcher, but there is still a lot of madness. After that comes some of his best stuff until Mr Mercedes. I have about 20 novels I haven't read though.

Ljuke That review I was telling you about, where the sex scene in IT is discussed, is here: https://www.tor.com/2013/09/25/the-gr...

message 6: by BMK (last edited Sep 18, 2017 09:08PM) (new)

BMK I don't think I have read anything between Rose Madder and Mr Mercedes, seemingly his purple patch in your opinion. I am contemplating reading the Dark Tower series but am hesitant that something that long will eventually end up with the hand of god setting off a giant spider nuke or some such nonsense.

Ljuke That's a valid concern. The first one is pretty dull, but short. 2nd is great, 3rd is batshit. The rest vary. How was Rose Madder?

message 8: by BMK (new)

BMK I read Rose Madder about 18 years ago so this isn't a overly valid opinion, but I thought it was good. About domestic violence with some supernatural stuff very late in the piece.

Ljuke Yeah the ones with less supernatural stuff tend to be pretty great, like Misery, Dolores Claibourne, Blaze, etc.

message 10: by BMK (new)

BMK Maybe I'll read a shorter book in that era and if it doesn't shit me I'll attempt the Dark Tower series.

Ljuke Let me know if you want to borrow something.

message 12: by BMK (new)

BMK Can I have, a cup of sugar, please?