Melissa Fordonski's Reviews > Tuesday

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Sep 20, 2011

In this wordless picture book, David Wiesner uses various techniques to tell this strange tale. On Tuesday, around 8:00, mysterioius things are happening in a pond. A group of frogs are in flight on lily pads. We follow them on a journey as they take over a subruban neighborhood. Throughout their journey the floating frogs have their run ins with clotheslines, neighborhood dogs and trees, but finally head back to their regular pond life, leaving the people wondering, the next day, why there are lily pads all over their neighborhood. The story concludes with an image taht makes the reader want more. This image of floating pigs, depicting what will happen the following Tuesday, leads the reader to believe that every Tuesday, around 8, mysterious things happen. Weisner uses framing to sequence the events of the story and to help the reader attend to what is important in each image. The floating frogs on lily pads adventure is recorded in multiple perspectives. We see various events recored in multiple ways, including looking at the frogs floating upside down, from behind, and from the front, demanding the reader to look directly into the frogs eyes, allowing the reader to become connected to these peculiar characters. Tuesday is one of those books that I want to read again and again, to see what new images I notice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday.