Mary Drover's Reviews > Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth

Moondust by Andrew      Smith

bookshelves: space, nonfiction, favorites

I don’t often read nonfiction, and when I do, it’s normally related to space. I’ve only read a few astronaut memoirs, and while this one is not my favorite (that would be An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield, and I’m linking it here because everyone should read this regardless of whether or not you have an interest in space), it was excellent. Smith takes on the daunting task of interviewing the surviving nine men who went to the moon, though he takes on a different approach than most. Rather than asking what it felt like to walk on the moon, his interest lies in the question we’re always wondering–what next?

This was not only well written, but engaging. I find that, often times, nonfiction can be a bit dry, and while there were some parts in here (Ed Mitchell) that I was nodding off during, there were others (John Young) that I couldn’t put down. Smith is not only having a conversation with these astronauts, but with himself, and sometimes with the reader. You feel like you’re part of the journey. I really appreciated how much time he spent with each astronaut, as well, and how he described them, both his initial meetings and the sort of pre-meetings he obtained through colleagues’ and friends’ descriptions. I was a bit bummed that the bathroom in space topic came up because I’m sick to death of reading about it, but it was short enough (not a whole chapter–I’m looking at you, Mike Mullane) that I only rolled my eyes once. The hunt for Neil Armstrong was nicely woven throughout the story, too, and I really like how it happened when it finally did. This is certainly a book for those interested in astronauts and the space program, but overall, a very lovely read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moondust.

September 14, 2017 – Started Reading