Ronel Janse van Vuuren's Reviews > The Forest in Folklore and Mythology

The Forest in Folklore and Mythology by Alexander Porteous

bookshelves: folklore, non-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read December 29, 2017 to January 19, 2018.

Everything you ever need to know about forests and their role in folklore and mythology conveniently in one book. Some of the entries are quite short – but you can find the story behind the legend easily enough in other reference books thanks to the fact that the sources were thoroughly documented.

As a writer, I love “reading the (polished) notes” that Porteous made of forests – almost like he took a subject (e.g. forests in folklore) and wrote everything down that he found. Though it seems random the way the book is presented, I enjoy the way each entry makes me think of new stories that I can write featuring the magic of the forests as explained in “the notes” that is “The Forest in Folklore and Mythology”.

I’ll caution readers though: this isn’t a “sit down and read cover-to-cover” type of book. It should be savoured entry-by-entry, thought about and explored.

Some of the folklore might be familiar, but most are new and interesting things to be discovered and enjoyed.

A must-read for folklorists, those who love trees and any author who wants to incorporate forests in their writing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest in Folklore and Mythology.

September 14, 2017 – Shelved