Ronel Janse van Vuuren's Reviews > The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Up Your Novel for Success

The First 50 Pages by Jeff Gerke

bookshelves: writing-craft, non-fiction

This book covers everything you need to do – and everything you should avoid – in the first fifty pages of your novel. From point of view to theme to world building, this book talks about it all.

Honestly, the first half of the book is everything you should already know if you’ve been writing for a while, but it is absolutely necessary for new novelists to read it, study it and apply it.

The second half of the book is a reminder of everything you already know, but sometimes forget to apply. It covers how to do multiple POV correctly, how to write an opening page that captures the reader’s imagination and how to introduce your antagonist in just the right way.

The movie references – especially the ones I have no intention of watching – did confuse me at times, but I got the gist. The references to movies that I’ve watched (like Titanic and Mulan) were illuminating to plot, character and what great openings to stories can accomplish.

A must-have if you want to nail your novel’s opening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First 50 Pages.

September 14, 2017 – Shelved