Julie 's Reviews > The Wife

The Wife by Alafair Burke

bookshelves: crime, e-book, edelweiss-review, harper, mystery-shelf, suspense, thrillers, 2018

The Wife by Alafair Burke is a 2018 Harper publication.

How well do you know your husband?

It’s that all too familiar, and oft dreaded question posed by law enforcement when it appears ones husband may have been leading a double life. Angela, just like many other loyal wives, swears her husband isn’t capable of murder, and even gives him a rock-solid alibi. But, deep down, Angela’s insecurities, traumatic past, and the mounting evidence against her husband, Jason, has forced her to take a good hard look at the man she married.

This book is just the kind of thriller I love and never seem to tire of. I openly admit, I’m a big fan of this author. However, despite my bias, I truly believe this book would have been highly successful no matter what. But, I must admit, the precision perfect timing of its release gave the story an added boost of power and a ripped from the headlines type of atmosphere, it might not have benefited from otherwise.

For authors these days, it’s more of a challenge than ever before to put a fresh spin on familiar plots or to keep their material fresh and original. Jaded readers, like myself, can often see a twist coming a mile off, which might be why some authors are trying to keep readers off balance by throwing in a multitude of over the top shocking twist and turns. But, that gets old in a hurry, and is more about shock value than true writing ability. So, it takes a very skilled author to weave a complex, clever tale around a timely storyline that will keep readers engaged, add in a nice balance of well -timed twist and turns, and top it off with a stunning conclusion they never saw coming. But, that is exactly what Alafair Burke has done with this story.

Usually I enjoy analyzing the plot and characters in more detail, maybe build up a little enticing curiosity about the book, but, in this case, it’s best not to say too much. But, I want to stress that this is not just another story about a woman standing by her husband after he’s been accused of misconduct. Trust me, there’s a lot more to this twisted tale than meets the eye!

This is a very clever, well thought out, skillfully constructed thriller I can’t recommend highly enough. It’s early in the year to start making a ‘best of 2018’ list, but I think it’s safe to say this one will definitely make the cut.

5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife.

September 13, 2017 – Shelved
September 13, 2017 – Shelved as: thrillers
February 26, 2018 – Started Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
March 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

Helga Great review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Julie Helga wrote: "Great review Julie! Glad you enjoyed it. :)"

Thank you, Helga!! 😊

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Beautiful review, Julie! :)

message 4: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Great review Julie. Sounds like a must read!

Julie Diane wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie! :)"

Thank you, Diane!! 😊

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Great review Julie. Sounds like a must read!"

Thank you, Antoinette!! 💕

message 7: by Tuti (new)

Tuti great review! i’ll add it to my wish-list!

Meredith Glad you loved this too, Julie! Wonderful review!

Julie Tuti wrote: "great review! i’ll add it to my wish-list!"

Thank you, Tuti!! Happy reading!! 😊

Julie Meredith wrote: "Glad you loved this too, Julie! Wonderful review!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 💕

message 11: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Wonderful Review Julie! I love a good thriller. I am adding this to my massively growing to-read list!

Julie Debra wrote: "Wonderful Review Julie! I love a good thriller. I am adding this to my massively growing to-read list!"

Thank you, Debra!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Happy reading!! 😊

message 13: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Excellent review Julie! Keep seeing raving reviews for this!!

Julie Kendall wrote: "Excellent review Julie! Keep seeing raving reviews for this!!"

Thank you, Kendall!!😊

message 15: by KAS (new)

KAS Loved your opening question, Julie ;) Guess not well enough! Sounds like a goody!! xox

message 16: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Wonderful review, Julie! Glad to see the 5 stars!

Julie Paula wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! Glad to see the 5 stars!"

Thank you, Paula! It deserved every single one!! 😊

Julie KAS wrote: "Loved your opening question, Julie ;) Guess not well enough! Sounds like a goody!! xox"

Thank you, KAS!! Yes, it was! 😊

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Yay. So happy for another good review on this one. Looking forward to JLB's daughter's writing!

Julie paulie wrote: "i keep hearing about this perfect timing - - gah, i feel like i gotta know. thumbs up!"

Thank you, Paulie!! You have to read this one! 😊

Julie Jen wrote: "Yay. So happy for another good review on this one. Looking forward to JLB's daughter's writing!"

Thanks, Jen!! I have a feeling you are going to like this one!! 😊

message 23: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one!🤗

Debbie Terrific review, Julie. I felt the exact same way about this one. A new author to me, but I will be checking out her other books.

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one!🤗"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊

Julie Debbie wrote: "Terrific review, Julie. I felt the exact same way about this one. A new author to me, but I will be checking out her other books."

Thank you, Debbie!! Writing seems to run in her family. Very talented! 😊

message 27: by James (new)

James Thane Great review, Julie.

Jennifer Masterson Yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed this one, Julie! Excellent review!

Julie James wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thank you, James!!

Julie Jennifer wrote: "Yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed this one, Julie! Excellent review!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! 😊💕

Mary Beth Fantastic review, Julie! Everyone seems to love this one. Glad that you loved it too. I have this on hold on Overdrive. Cant wait to read it.

Julie Mary wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! Everyone seems to love this one. Glad that you loved it too. I have this on hold on Overdrive. Cant wait to read it."

Thank you, Mary!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one!! 😊

message 33: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Fabulous review, Julie! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!

Julie Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one!"

Thank you, Jaline!! 🌷

Elyse  Walters Ok............ADDING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK! xox

Julie Elyse wrote: "Ok............ADDING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK! xox"

Thank you, Elyse!! Happy reading!! 🌷

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Brenda!!