Elizabeth's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

I was a big supporter of Clinton in the 2016 election and am about 3/4 through the book because SHOCKER I WAITED UNTIL READING IT TO WRITE A REVIEW.

Clinton has an absolute right to write whatever she wants. She has been in politics for decades. She has done advocacy work. She arguably had the most relevant experience of any presidential candidate in American history. She was pilloried by the press, targeted by Russia, and won by 3+ million votes. Bernie Sanders lost to her in the primary, published a book, and no one is asking him to go away (okay, I am in this review, but in the general political sphere, I haven't seen any vitriolic, hysterical calls for him to sit down and shut up) I pre-ordered her book along with millions of other people who actually wanted to hear what she had to say. I wasn't disappointed.

I don't understand why people think she's not taking responsibility for her loss; she does from the introduction on. But she also explains why Russian interference, the media, Bernie, and Comey had an impact on the election, which they absolutely did; most pundits agree that she might have won if Anthony Weiner could have kept it in his pants and Comey had made as much noise about Trump and Russia as he did about her emails.

Aside from the content, I'm finding this to be a very readable book. Her voice is humorous and yes, authentic. Her thoughts about the future of the Democratic Party are relevant. Her experiences dealing with sexism resonated with me and millions of other women who have experienced a modicum of what she's dealt with. I think her contributions are invaluable for anyone who is scared for the future of this country, particularly any women who may be thinking of running for office or taking a more public role in policy-making.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

September 12, 2017 – Started Reading
September 13, 2017 – Shelved
September 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Barbara Thank you for a thoughtful review.

message 2: by Ts (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ts Stein This the most helpful review I've read. I'm disappointed that some many reviewers at both ends are reviewing the book without reading it. This used to the case on Amazon but now it's happening on Goodreads. Elizabeth, thank you for an honest review from someone who has read/heard the book.