Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*'s Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: 2017, politics

I was hiking in the woods with Bogey, my dog, yesterday when I notice a woman with a familiar face walking with her two dogs approaching me on the trail.... then I notice all the people in black meandering through the woods around her, and it dawned on me....

"Hey Hillary! I can't believe it! What are you doing in Ohio? Are you getting a jump on 2020....doing a bit of the old campaigning?" I asked. "I'm NEVER going through that again, I'm done being a candidate.....DONE! I have a book tour stop nearby." at which point she pulled out a flask and a couple of glasses.

"Want a glass of chardonnay?" She asked me. "Um, yes....of course and I hope there's more where that came from. Hell, Hill I'm putting Chardonnay in my morning smoothie, which consists of Chardonnay, chardonnay, ice with a splash of vodka and a dash of protein powder ever since the Putin Puppet marionetted his way into the white house. " I replied. She pours us both a glass and we sit on a nearby bench. "of course there's more! The secret service not only protects me, they carry some backup as well." she said with a grin. "I'm sorry, but I didn't get your name." "Oh sorry, I'm Stephanie." We shake hands. "It's nice to meet you Stephanie."

"I read your book, What Happened, and I read that you like the Chardonnay." I said, "I like chardonnay almost as much as Bill likes balloons!" She said, and we chuckle and chuckle.... then we sit in silence as we stare off into space for a good long while.

"So....Hill..... What in the hell happened?" I ask and she drops her head down and slowly shakes it back and forth, picks it up and takes a drink. "Well, it was a whole bunch of things Stephanie....you read the book... Russia all out cyber attacked us, Putin hates me and the feeling is mutual; the Republican's are treasonous bastards, Mitch was told of the cyber attack prior to the election and did absolutely nothing....party over country; Comey stabbed me in the back with that ridiculous letter and for sure cost me the election; propaganda from Fox and from Russian bots on facebook really hurt me...... I made mistakes with my campaign and I take full responsibility for them, but that doesn't change the fact that I was also up against all that other stuff and still I won the popular vote by over 3 million votes!"

"I'll drink to that!" I say and we clink glasses. "You got more votes than any other white man ever to have run for the office...EVER....hick...! ***blurrp*** " So.... fuck the electoral college! What's their purpose anyway if it's not to keep lunatic fascists out out of the white house?" I slur. "I'm pretty sure I heard Alexander Hamilton sing about that fact....hick....ugh... and fuck all the people telling you to shut up and go away. Don't go away."....*sniff*..."I'm not going anywhere." she smiles.

"Are you okay Stephanie?" she asks as she pours us another glass. "Sure...I'm fine...*burp* but would you be so kind as to drop me off at my house? I think I'm done hiking for the day....Hey, aren't your two dogs Shih-poos? Bogey here is a shih-poo.... hey we both have shih-poos ....aren't they the best dogs ever?!?" She laughs "yes they are, Stephanie." She raises her glass and so do I "To the United States of America!" she says..."To the United States of America.." and we finish our wine.

We make our way to the cars and get in...."Nice limo, Hill"....

I don't care if you don't like Hillary Clinton and she probably doesn't care either. She wrote this book for those of us who wanted to hear 'what happened' from her perspective, the perspective of the winner. I highly recommend this book, it's fascinating. Even if you don't like her, you'd probably would like her book.

That's all I have to say about that... unless there will be trolls to battle. Heh heh.... 3...2...1 and....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

September 12, 2017 – Started Reading
September 12, 2017 – Shelved
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
September 20, 2017 – Shelved as: politics
September 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* wrote: "Omg this review is so funny!"

Thanks!

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko Awesome review! I could totally picture the two of you getting tipsy 😎. And yes, we are going to miss her!

message 4: by Claudine (new) - added it

Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813 Loved the review! Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Choko wrote: "Awesome review! I could totally picture the two of you getting tipsy 😎. And yes, we are going to miss her!"

Thanks! She's not going anywhere though. She's a part of the resistance.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Claudine wrote: "Loved the review! Thanks for sharing."

Thanks!

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Fun review and it did make me laugh. I worked hard for Bernie Sanders and was one of the 18,000 VTers who wrote in his name on Nov 8 - a day that will truly live in infamy! I knew from late summer to the Election Day that sTRUMPY would win. Driving around Addison and Rutland Counties all I saw were Trump / Pence signs. In my town, there were two Bernie signs, Two! So the country is a mess and we have what we have and that is the challenge we are faced with. I won't buy the book, I will probably get it from the library.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Stephen wrote: "Fun review and it did make me laugh. I worked hard for Bernie Sanders and was one of the 18,000 VTers who wrote in his name on Nov 8 - a day that will truly live in infamy! I knew from late summer ..."

Thank you for getting involved and working for a candidate you believed in, but no thank you for not voting for the only viable candidate in the race that COULD have defeated Trump. If y'all would have voted for Hillary, we would have an excellent president right now instead one who is trying to kill us all.

I'll never understand it. I did like Bernie, I didn't love Bernie, though I I like him even less now, but if he were the Democratic nominee I would have been supporting him in the streets! I would have been been behind him 100% even though I would have been crushed that my candidate lost.

Why would I do that? Because he would have been the only thing between Trump and the White House, and I knew that Trump was dangerous. Bernie wouldn't have been my first choice, but he would have been better than Trump by a mile..... just lik Hillary would have been.

message 9: by Kaleah (new) - added it

Kaleah Great review Stephanie!! It's super relatable considering my wine consumption has probably tripled since the election!

message 10: by Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* (last edited Sep 22, 2017 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Kaleah wrote: "Great review Stephanie!! It's super relatable considering my wine consumption has probably tripled since the election!"

Thanks! The beer/wine/liquor industries are probably doing very well right now, as well a the psychiatrist/psychologists are too.

message 11: by John (new) - added it

John Vance Preach!!!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* John wrote: "Preach!!!"

Hah!

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Omg Stephanie I love you. xD I am going to buy her book today. So excited!

message 14: by Alix (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alix Great review. ❤

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Courtney wrote: "Omg Stephanie I love you. xD I am going to buy her book today. So excited!"

Likewise Courtney! Thanks!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Alix wrote: "Great review. ❤"

Thanks!

Karla Count me among those who were relatively unenthusiastic about Hillary (though I still voted for her) but have had a change of opinion after reading about the shitshow in her own words. She IS a good messenger, if only people would take the fingers out of their ears. Glad I finally did so.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Karla wrote: "Count me among those who were relatively unenthusiastic about Hillary (though I still voted for her) but have had a change of opinion after reading about the shitshow in her own words. She IS a goo..."

Exactly! I can't say I was as enthusiastic about Hillary as I was about president Obama, but I knew she was eminently qualified for the job and that she had the American people's best interest at heart.... The reason no one new much about her and what she wanted to do in her presidency was because the goddamned media wouldn't shut up about her emails, and that was absolutely a non story. She kept having to say over and over on the media to go to her website and read her policy ideas because the bastards wouldn't let her talk about it.

Karla I especially liked the one aside in this book about thinking maybe they should deliberately leak an email with her policy plans in it so that the media MIGHT cover it.

Reading this was quite the journey for me because some of that propaganda DID worm its way into my brain, though not to the degree that I would vote for anyone else but her, but there were stupid doubts until the blatant hypocrisy and double standards were impossible to ignore. So I can see the how and why some people turned into anti-Clinton pod zombies, but there's no excuse now...NONE...for not owning up to being unwittingly played and giving in to confirmation bias, whether you're a Trumpkin or that virulent strain of Berners. It sucks to say "I was wrong! I fell for the trolls!" but being stubborn about it is helping no one and nothing. Personally, I think it's partially contrarian troll culture at work.

I'd also love to know which journalists have done the mea culpas to Hillary in private, as she claims. Apologize to AMERICA too, you tools.

Yeah, I'm still mad.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Karla wrote: "I especially liked the one aside in this book about thinking maybe they should deliberately leak an email with her policy plans in it so that the media MIGHT cover it.

Reading this was quite the j..."

I'm still mad as well. I'm glad you have seen the light, lol.... and Russia had a big part of this, of daemonizing a perfectly fine leader. And you're obviously not the only one who fell for the grifters..... it was an onslaught of negativity against Hillary. BTW: she has been investigated for 30 solid years and there was nada! If there was anything she'd be in jail long ago.

I had friends and family who thought she might be shady, and these were people I thought of as well informed.... most voted for her though, some enthusiastically and some not. Some, sadly, fell for the third party vote.

I beat my head against the wall trying to explain to these people that they wouldn't get Gary Johnson, Jill Stein (Russian ties bigtime) or Bernie... you could get a Trump (and they did). That we had a two party system, so you pick the person closest to your values, then hold them to the fire with phone calls and letters and townhalls!

I'm still pretty angry!

message 21: by Karla (last edited Sep 25, 2017 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla I had a raging case of Clinton fatigue and lived through all the media crap of Whitewater & Ken Starr as a pre-teen & teen, so it wasn't necessarily that I believed all the troll crap (like her starting WW3, because puhleeze), but just the mere thought of going from the last 8 years of incoherent ragey obstruction into Clinton 2.0 depressed the holy hell out of me and dampened my enthusiasm. I wanted to feel justified in my depression and I don't wannas but, again, I knew I had only one choice on Election Day. Since then, I wish I had felt better about it, even though the end result (my vote) would have been the same. My town, county & state (VT) went super solid for her anyway.

No doubt if she had won, the last 8 years would look like a warm-up of right-wing insanity & become Benghazi on steroids & we'd wake up every morning thinking we were back in the 1990s again, but at least we wouldn't be having a blitzkrieg of morning shitter Tweets from the WH & we wouldn't be worrying about clean air & drinking water & fat little dictators on Asian peninsulas. -_-

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Karla wrote: "I had a raging case of Clinton fatigue and lived through all the media crap of Whitewater & Ken Starr as a pre-teen & teen, so it wasn't necessarily that I believed all the troll crap (like her sta..."

Well said! Yes, the Republicans wouldn't have stopped being douche bags by any stretch of the imagination, but Hillary is not developmentally an eleven year old (per a psychiatrist, not pulling the age out of my behind) like Trump. The stuff in the 90's were all the GOP as well, so the blame must be laid right there.

message 23: by Danny (new)

Danny Hallo I have nothing to say except that it almost made me sad in that all truths seem profound acts of bravery to me lately. Your review evoked this thought in me. If I wasn’t compelled to read the book, I am now.

message 24: by Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* (last edited Sep 25, 2017 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Danny wrote: "I have nothing to say except that it almost made me sad in that all truths seem profound acts of bravery to me lately. Your review evoked this thought in me. If I wasn’t compelled to read the book,..."

Thanks! It's really good. She's a human being and no one deserves what happened to her.

message 25: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Hill Love it!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Tom wrote: "Love it!"

Thank you!

Karla Stephanie wrote: "The stuff in the 90's were all the GOP as well, so the blame must be laid right there."

Reminds me of what Bill Maher says so often: "Democrats follow polls, Republicans CHANGE polls." They can inject the craziest stuff into the public consciousness just by saying it, over and over and over. And they've been doing it with the Clintons since they stepped foot in DC, those audacious backwater upstarts!

Having a dysfunctional/AWOL moral compass also helps.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Karla wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "The stuff in the 90's were all the GOP as well, so the blame must be laid right there."

Yes it does.

message 29: by Shekhar (new)

Shekhar Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be. Clinton won the popular vote against Obama in the 2008 primaries. She won the popular vote against Trump in the 2016 general. It just wasn't meant to be. This past election revealed how fragile our democracy really is. And no one is who they say they are. The resistance continues!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Shekhar wrote: "Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be. Clinton won the popular vote against Obama in the 2008 primaries. She won the popular vote against Trump in the 2016 general. It just wasn't meant to be. This pas..."

✊️

Susan (the other Susan) Your review made me smile. I can't finish her book yet. Someday I will. She has the courage I wish for.

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Susan (the other Susan) wrote: "Your review made me smile. I can't finish her book yet. Someday I will. She has the courage I wish for."

She would have made an excellent president. After all the bs that has come to light, and will continue to come to light, she is owed the presidency...... Trump is wholly illegitimate.

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I have no idea how I missed this SUPERB review, Stephanie. I love it...LOVE IT!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Deanna wrote: "I have no idea how I missed this SUPERB review, Stephanie. I love it...LOVE IT!"

Thank you Deanna!

Marianne Jay Best review EVER!!!!! I honestly wish I could meet you in person. We have a lot in common.

message 36: by Nai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nai Wang Awesome review as usual. You are the inspiration for my review, but not as bigly as yours...

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Nai wrote: "Awesome review as usual. You are the inspiration for my review, but not as bigly as yours..."

Hah! Thanks Nai!

Elyse Walters Sooooo awesome!! I enjoyed every word of your review!!!!! 👍👍👍👍

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Elyse wrote: "Sooooo awesome!! I enjoyed every word of your review!!!!! 👍👍👍👍"

Thank you!

message 40: by GEORGE (new) - added it

GEORGE AWESOME review....I wanna be like u when I grow up!

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* GEORGE wrote: "AWESOME review....I wanna be like u when I grow up!"

You may want to set that bar a little higher. Thanks George.

message 42: by Darkness (new) - added it

Darkness Can't drink

Stephanie *Very Stable Genius* Darkness wrote: "Can't drink
:("

Sorry to hear that..... then do whatever helps you get through the day :)