Aaron Bunce's Reviews > Ghosts

Ghosts by Nicholas Sansbury Smith

I really enjoyed Smith's introductory volume into the Hell Diver's series. And...he really upped his game with the second, save for one small thing which I will detail at the end.

Picking up a decade later, Ghosts picks up with the remnant of humanity, hanging on by a thread...almost a literal thread. This was one of the things I found so engaging about the first book. Things are dire, as humanity is on the brink of extinction (funny when Smith's other series is the Extinction Cycle), and we are constantly forced to ask ourselves - how in the friggin' hell is this isolated, fragmented, and sometimes at odds, group of people going to survive? Well, as it stands with the good writers, that very question is why we are reading. ;)

Smith brings us back down to earth for a good portion of this follow up, literally and figuratively speaking, which is part of the reason why this segment of the overall story really caught my attention. The stakes are raised, so chances must be taken. Say, diving to raid underground bunkers and following up on looping distress calls that may or may not have been broadcasting for years on end. Will they find another remnant of humanity, holding on for dear life, and provide our floating capsule of humanity a boost? Or will they find monsters, and possibly some answers to earth's ruinous state? I don't spoil. :p

Part of me wishes that I would have pre-order Fall Out 4 and gotten the Pip Boy, so I could wear it while I read these books. The Hell Divers series taps into my post apocalypse, Fall Out fascination to no end. Now my one gripe. This book ended. Damn! And now I return to my keyboard and write my next book, while I wait for the next volume in this fantastic series to drop.

You should read this book, maybe read it on your pip boy while you walk the dog or clean out your fallout shelter. You pick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts.

September 12, 2017 – Started Reading