Debra's Reviews > Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

Somewhere in the future in an Appalachian town of Dooling (is this a spoof on drooling which one might do when they fall asleep?), women are falling asleep and being cocooned in a sticky white substance. Psst...don't wake them. No one likes to be waken from a deep sleep, especially the women in this book who become violent once awoken. This is a big book so I am not going to give a big synopsis on it. The long and short of it is this: women are falling asleep, those not asleep yet are living on red bull trying to stay awake, one woman (Evie) appears to be not affected by it and may have even caused it, men are either trying to help figure out what is happening or are up to no good. For the most part, they are trying to figure out how to live and keep the sleeping women safe.

This is a science fiction meets fantasy meets horror type book. It's long and in some parts it felt long. There is a magical tree, a fox, a tiger, a snake, talking rats, moths, and about 60 or so townspeople ; some of which are asleep and some are awake. Evie appears to be in control of all and has ties to the magical tree.

Some reviewers are stating that they can tell what parts Stephen King wrote vs. which ones Owen King wrote. In the beginning of the book, I thought "Yes!" this is S.King's part..but then the entire book felt that way to me so I guess, I really couldn't tell the difference.

I often wondered while reading this book "What's the point?" and "What is the message?" Is there one? Tie in the sleeping illness (for lack of a better word) with the marital problems of the Psychiatrist and the Sheriff (married to each other) and you have a mess. But an enjoyable mess. I enjoyed this book. I don't feel that it is Stephen King's best but at least it is not his worst either. I have never read Owen King before this so I can't speak for him. I thought they did a good job. Perhaps a little more edited especially in the beginning would have made this book better.

But how about that cover? Beautiful!

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauties.

September 12, 2017 – Shelved
page 185
page 322
page 412
October 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wonderful honest review!! I don't think this one is for me. I do love that cover though :)

Debra Deanna wrote: "Wonderful honest review!! I don't think this one is for me. I do love that cover though :)"

Thanks Deanna, I thought it was good not great. It was creative but felt long for the sake of being long. I also thought it had some political stuff (women's issues/can men behave without women, shooting by police officers of unarmed individuals, etc.)and creation stuff in there (magic tree/snake/eve) going on.

Overall good but also a tad too long.

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Debra!

Debra Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Debra!"

Thank you Jennifer!

message 5: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Wonderful review Debra!

Debra Luvtoread wrote: "Wonderful review Debra!"

Thank you Luvtoread!

RedemptionDenied Great review!!

Debra RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review!!"

Thank you!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

My cover has a fox on it, a tesco edition apparently.

Debra Martin wrote: "My cover has a fox on it, a tesco edition apparently."

I haven't seen that cover.