karen's Reviews > Ninth House

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: bea-2019-wishlist, thank-you-bea-or-ala, death-is-not-the-end, girls-gone-wild

There were always excuses for why girls died.

i am going to review this carefully, for all of you who were too cool or too civilized to run for copies at BEA and have to wait for october to grab a copy. me, i regret nothing.

when i first heard about this book, there was only a little teaser of a synopsis available, and when i finally got my hands on it, i didn’t revisit it or read anything printed on the ARC - i just dove in blind.

let’s just say i was unprepared for what this was. i’d assumed, from having read all the bardoogs before this, that this would be set in some fantasy realm which roughly correlated to real-world locations, but was entirely fresh and new and magical. so imagine my surprise to read about this girl kicking it in new haven and eating mamoun’s falafel. mind = blown.

those of you who are better about reading what a book is about before you hunker down between its covers will be less surprised, since it pretty clearly states it takes place at yale, but it took me a minute to recalibrate my expectations.

not unpleasantly so, by any means.

bardugo’s first adult novel is… spectacular. and it is emphatically modern—all of its themes of class and race and gender, all of the female rage and elitist entitlement, and alex stern, my new favorite character, teetering on that knife’s edge of the heroine/antiheroine divide.

never fear, there’s plenty of fantasy and magic and all of the brilliance one expects from a bardugo novel, and DAMN, does it have teeth.

Alex felt something dark inside her uncoil. “You’re a flat beast,” Hellie had once said to her. “Got a little viper lurking in there, ready to strike. A rattler probably.” She’d said it with a grin, but she’d been right. All this winter weather and polite conversation had put the serpent to sleep, its heartbeat slowing as it grew lazy and still, like any cold-blooded thing.

it’s a mystery/horror/fantasy cocktail that packs a serious punch. it is fierce. it is ferocious. it’s all sinuous with iridescent scales and fangs.

it ends on a promise of more to come, and i NEED there to be more coming, because i am smitten with alex stern.

I let you die. To save myself, I let you die.

That is the danger in keeping company with survivors.

i will keep company with her any day of the week.
if she’ll have me.

*************************

an easy five stars, with review TK, but to answer your final question, ms. bardugo:

ME! ME!! I AM SO READY!!!!!

5/29/19

update: BEA will not be burned down this year.

5/28/19

every year, i have a few "if i don't get this at BEA, i will burn down BEA" titles.
this year i only have one.
9/12/17

leigh bardugo
university secret societies
sinister occult activities

all of the good things at once.

come to my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninth House.

September 12, 2017 – Shelved
June 1, 2019 – Started Reading
June 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Good luck!

karen thank you! good luck also to the javits center and the FDNY.

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (ReadingRover) I’m jealous! I wasn’t one of the lucky ones who got it. Also, that shirt is freaking fantastic!!!

message 4: by Dita (new)

Dita YOU GOT IT!

karen Dita wrote: "YOU GOT IT!"

success!

Megan wrote: "I’m jealous! I wasn’t one of the lucky ones who got it. Also, that shirt is freaking fantastic!!!"

ugh, sorry. i got there more than three hours early and even still, i almost didn't get a ticket. there were only 100, so BEA almost burned. i only missed out on two things i wanted today, which is not a bad day. tomorrow is going to be hectic. too many books...

i love this shirt; it is genius. ms bardugo also commented on it because she knows a good thing when she sees it. she IS a good thing.

i am so weary. my brain isn't even working. zzzzz

message 6: by Michael (last edited May 30, 2019 04:15AM) (new)

Michael You are the only person I know who needs to take a wheel barrow to BEA. Like an Easter egg hunt.

karen pshaw - EVERYONE there's got wheelbarrows; book people grab with both hands!

the shipping room is BANANAS!

off i go to day 2!!! BRING ON THEM BARROWS!

karen Michael wrote: "You are the only person I know who needs to take a wheel barrow to BEA. Like an Easter egg hunt."

oh, it totally is like an easter egg hunt, though. my lists are crazy - go here and then there and then back to here and aaaaahhhhh

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Michael wrote: "You are the only person I know who needs to take a wheel barrow to BEA. Like an Easter egg hunt."

People take wheelbarrows to Easter egg hunts?!

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Huh, there's another popular new series called the Ninth House. Weird zeitgeistiness, or reference I'm too uncool to get?

message 11: by Leøpard (new)

Leøpard Cool review, Karen!

Samus Yeeticus hey karen what is your cats name?

message 13: by Leøpard (new)

Leøpard huh?

message 14: by rachel (new)

rachel Your Ice Cubes in Ice-T shirt is excellent!

karen Miriam wrote:

People take wheelbarrows to Easter egg hunts?!"

people who are serious about their craft sure do!

Miriam wrote: "Huh, there's another popular new series called the Ninth House. Weird zeitgeistiness, or reference I'm too uncool to get?"

if it's a reference, i'm equally uncool.

karen Sam behar wrote: "hey karen what is your cats name?"

no cat right now, sadly.

Leøpard wrote: "Cool review, Karen!"

no yet it isn't!

karen rachel wrote: "Your Ice Cubes in Ice-T shirt is excellent!"

thank you! i worry that ice-t is getting short shrift in that photo, though.

better.

Laurie –A Court of Books– I can't believe you got it!! I missed it at BEA but I'm so happy for you, you're making me even mor eager to read it :O

karen honestly, i can't believe i got it, either. there was some serious line mismanagement on day one of BEA and even though i got there more than three hours early and was way up front in the line, security decided lines were unimportant and herded people from the back of the line to the front area and then flat-out lied about which ropes would open first, causing much bitterness, until booknerds took matters into their own hands and flipped all the ropes themselves and it was a CHARGE, with security trying to hold people back and obviously i felt shitty about running and dodging, but i got there early for ONE REASON and i wasn't gonna let latesleepers get this book while i missed out because some maverick decided to redefine the rules of LINES.

message 20: by Laurie –A Court of Books– (last edited Jun 05, 2019 10:20AM) (new) - added it

Laurie –A Court of Books– karen wrote: "honestly, i can't believe i got it, either. there was some serious line mismanagement on day one of BEA and even though i got there more than three hours early and was way up front in the line, sec..."

You did good! I was still on the plane from France on the first day of BEA (only arrived around 11 pm on Wednesday) but all my friends missed it and one of them actually got bruised in the process! I'm super happy it was worth it :) Did you do a haul for BEA/Bookcon?

karen i swear i caused no bruises!! although i did sustain some myself, mostly from the weight of my bags and exhaustedly walking into things. i didn't do an official haul or anything, but i posted some pictures over on here if you scrooooolll:

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen I'm happy for you. You are the best reviewer, and most creative, that I have read. Congratulations.

karen Karen wrote: "I'm happy for you. You are the best reviewer, and most creative, that I have read. Congratulations."

that is very kind of you to say!

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael karen wrote: "Miriam wrote:

People take wheelbarrows to Easter egg hunts?!"

people who are serious about their craft sure do!

Miriam wrote: "Huh, there's another popular new series called [book: the Ninth H..."

Karen was the best Easter egg hunter in RI. Perhaps a wheel barrow is over emphasizing a bit. Maybe just a small shopping cart is more realistic.

message 25: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran Great review! can't wait for this to come out!

message 26: by Alyson (new) - added it

Alyson Stone So jealous! I'm going to make it to Bookcon one year.

karen book con is for the truly strong. BEA is smaller and less flashy, but even that nearly rooned me.

message 28: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Delf Oooh this sounds so good! Can't wait

message 29: by kalali (new) - added it

kalali I’ve heard people talk about trigger warnings, could you point them out please?

karen kalali wrote: "I’ve heard people talk about trigger warnings, could you point them out please?"

i will probably miss a few because i've got a pretty calloused reader-soul, but there is definitely drug abuse and sexual assault; or more precisely, sexual coercion of the 'shitty frat boys' variety, and murder, and a lot of careless mistreatment of females (drug dealers donating their girlfriends to clients, etc), but it's not gratuitous - it all serves the story and its characters and allows for female rage to crystallize into glorious revenge.

there is also some poop-eating.

i'm sure someone coming from a sensitivity-reader background would identify more, but those are the biggies, i think.

message 31: by Allison (new) - added it