Reid's Reviews > How People Change

How People Change by Timothy S. Lane

Sep 20, 2011

bookshelves: christian-living, christian-ministry-general

Well developed approach to ministry/discipleship/counseling

There is a Gospel gap: many of us as Christians think that there are some things (many things?) that we can't trust Jesus to deliver us from (we need a professional). Actually, we have been given everything for life and godliness in the gospel. Therein is the GAP.

Our purpose is to glorify God

We will serve something/someone. Even as Christians, we are prone to idolatry --- willing to sin to get what we want that is more important to us than pleasing God.

HEAT: a person's situation in daily life, with difficulties, blessings, and temptations

THORNS: a person's ungodly response to his/her situation(s); it includes behavior, the heart motivation driving the behavior, and the consequences

CROSS: this focuses on the presence of God in His redemptive glory and love; through Christ, He brings comfort, cleansing, and the power to change.

FRUIT: this is the person's new godly response to the situation resulting from God's power at work in the heart; it includes behavior, the heart renewed by grace, and the harvest of consequences that follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How People Change.