Kate's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: nonfiction, read-unowned

I wasn't sure I could relive the trauma of the election. But too many people are telling her to be quiet. And you know how I feel about telling women to shut up? It just makes me want them to be louder.

If the Democratic party is to continue, it would do well to think very thoughtfully about what went wrong in 2016. Luckily, HRC had a front row seat to it, and is probably the best person to tell us.

ACTUAL REVIEW TIME

This was as difficult to read as I could imagine. There were a lot of tears, frustration, fear, grief.

But ultimately, this is why you should read this book:

"I understand why some people don't want to hear anything that sounds remotely like 'relitigating' the election. People are tired. Some are traumatized. Others are focused on keeping the discussion about Russia in the national security realm and away from politics. I get all that. But it's important that we understand what really happened. Because that's the only way we can stop it from happening again" (393).

I've seen a lot of critics (mostly who haven't read it) that this is a book where HRC dodges the blame. Nothing can be further from the truth. "I was the candidate" she says over and over. These were her decisions, how to act and not act in the face of an election cycle we've never seen before. But the forces that she was working against seem insurmountable.

But they're not.

We're in a cyber war with Russia whether we know it or not. Most Republicans don't know it. We have to tell them.

Let's get to work. There's an election on Tuesday, there's an election next year. I'm committed to helping where I can and when I can. You should too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

September 12, 2017 – Shelved
September 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 25, 2017 – Started Reading
November 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 6, 2017 – Shelved as: nonfiction
November 6, 2017 – Shelved as: read-unowned

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ Campbell And you know how I feel about telling women to shut up? It just makes me want them to be louder.

I love this so much.

Elyse Walters Beautiful! You’re right the negative words come more from people who have ‘not’ read it.

Thanks for your very ‘real’ review