Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Ten Tiny Breaths

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

You want to know what's dumb? Waiting years to read this book. That is dumb. I am dumb. So dumb. I should NEVER have waited years to read this emotionally charged and unforgettable read. I should never have waited years to experience K.A. Tucker's phenomenal writing. I should never have waited so long to begin this series, to feel the exceptional level of emotion and heartbreak and pain and love that this story gives you. I should have NEVER waited to read this book. That was so dumb of me.

Ten Tiny Breaths is beautifully written, thoughtfully crafted, and probably one of the most heart wrenching stories I have ever read. This book shattered me at times. It pulled me under into some deep depths of emotion, and even though that wasn't easy and even though that hurt like hell, that gave me everything with Kacey as this story unfolded. It connected me to her, it seared my heart to hers as she journeyed through this book and its events, and it pulled my heart to her in every way possible . The way that K.A. Tucker connected me into this story, allowed me to feel as if I was living and breathing every word, and how she made it all feel so real set this book apart. This book broke me time and time again, but it gave me it all in the same breath, and I truly can't say enough how amazing that was to experience.

I have to say that one of my favorite aspects of this book was the fact that it was told solely from Kacey's point of view. I thought that that worked exceptionally well for the story itself, and it really let me understand her on the deepest of levels. It let me get and feel every ounce of her pain. It allowed me to understand where it all came from, why it was still there, and why Kacey struggled the way that she did. It allowed me to see why she lashed out, why she pushed, and why she came off as cold at times, yet in the same breath it allowed me to understand why she did those things and tried with all she could to put on a front to the world.

As hard as her character was, I loved her. With my whole dang heart. I loved her tenacity, her fire, and I loved that she would do anything in the world for her sister and those she cared about. I loved that she was a fighter. She may have thought there was no hope for her, but there was some serious fight in that girl. I loved that Kacey always put others first, I loved getting to see her icey exterior melt and thaw away, and I loved getting to see people get to her and infiltrate her carefully constructed walls. Even though I knew why those walls were there, and I knew what she feared them crumbling down, I basked in every moment when those cracks would get just a bit bigger, when her heart would open more, and when she would let the light in just a bit. I lived for those moments, I lived for what they gave me with her, and I lived for how they pushed her one step further on her hard fought journey to heal once and for all.

I don't want to talk too much about the story itself because doing that would ruing its literal magnificence. This book was well plotted, shocked me and awed me in the best way, and it gave me one of the most emotionally breathtaking stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I loved this story because it wasn't easy. It wasn't rainbows and sunshine and easy and light. It was hard. It was painful at times and it had tears in my eyes so many times because of Kacey's struggle. This book was messy and complicated because Kacey was messy and complicated, and that worked so exceptionally well for this book and what it is. Getting to be in the thick of it with this book as you're with Kacey, as you learn her past and meet her in the present, as you feel the effect that Trent has on her, as you experience her walls crumbling and as this story unfolds...well that will just take you breath away. It will have you feeling every emotion you posses, and in the end it will give you one of the most meaningful stories you've read.

There were so many times while reading this book when I ached for what these characters were going through, when I broke for them, when I cried for them, and when I cheered them on, and through it all K.A. Tucker kept me with them in every way possible. She allowed me to feel everything, she allowed me to love them, she allowed me to get them and invest in them, and she allowed me to just be with them. That was outstanding to get, and it just made everything I was reading that more authentic and meaningful. The world K.A. Tucker created in this book, the characters she allowed me to get to know and the story she so exceptionally gave me is not something I will soon forget.

Ten Tiny Breaths is an emotionally powerful story about what happens when your entire life is thrown upside down. It is a story of loss, pain, and so much anguish that you can hardly breathe. It's a story about what happens when a life changing event hardens you to the world, when that event changes you and your life forever, and when it changes you to someone you never thought you'd be. This book is as much about the aftermath as it is about the fight to find something more, the fight to heal, and the fight to get back to yourself.

This book is about Kacey and her sister and Trent. It's about Storm and her daughter. It's about Cain and Ben and every other fantastic and dynamic character you meet in this book. It's about life and love and pain and hurt. It's about breaking and healing, living and dying, and every breath in between. It's about ten tiny breaths, ten deep breaths, and what it all means. It's about fresh starts and dead ends, and what happens along the way of the path you never wanted to be on. It's about second chances, forgiveness for yourself and others, and it's about what happens when you realize something has to change.

Ten Tiny Breath is one of the most incredible books I have ever read. Emotionally raw, breathtakingly honest and real, and a story that was equal parts love story, with so much soul touching emotions thrown in as Kacey attempted to heal from her past. This book amazed me on every level. It gave me it all. It made me cry. A lot. It made me think and wonder what I would feel and do, and in the end it showed me the fight and tenacity and resiliency you can have if you just give yourself a chance. And if you take those ten tiny breaths.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I was dumb to wait to read this book. I see now why everyone loved it so much, and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of this series. I want more of it, I need more of it, and I have no doubt that the rest of it will deliver just as much, if not more than this one did. I can't wait to dive deeper with all of these characters and this series. This book may have broke me a bit, but I will never forget it and what I got to experience with its characters. As much as it hurt, it gave me it all in the same pages and that was everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Tiny Breaths.

Quotes Megan Liked

K.A. Tucker
“Just breathe. Ten tiny breaths … Seize them. Feel them. Love them.”

K.A. Tucker
“I don't hate you. I could never hate you. Give me your heart, Kacey. I'll take everything that comes with it.”

K.A. Tucker
“I want to make you smile. For real. Always. We're going to go for dinners, and see movies, and walk on the beach. We'll go hang-gliding, or bungee jumping, or whatever you want to do. Whatever makes you smile and laugh more. Let me make you smile.”

“Isn't it exhausting?"
"What?"
"Keeping people out.”

K.A. Tucker
“What’s wrong is that every morning and every night, I lie in bed wondering why you’re not beside me.”

K.A. Tucker
“I'll make you whole again, Kacey. I promise you, I will.”

K.A. Tucker
“You don't want me, Ben. I'm seven layers of fucked up with a side of bullshit.”

K.A. Tucker
“Out past isn't who we are. I'm me and you're you and that's who we need to be.”

K.A. Tucker
“Trent has kept his promise. He makes me smile every day.”

K.A. Tucker
“Hope. Hope that something beautiful may come from this tragic story.
Fear. Fear that it won’t.
Forgiveness … forgiveness.”

K.A. Tucker
“Forever’s a long time.” Trent’s arms squeeze around me. “Forever’s not long enough when it’s with you.”

K.A. Tucker
“Do You think it matters if they're tiny or deep? he asked. Well, if they're not tiny breaths and they're not deep breaths, then they're just ... breaths. Then you're just breathing for the sake of ... breathing.
... Seize them. Feel them. Love them ...”

K.A. Tucker
“I barrel into his arms, my mouth connecting with his. Seizing him. Feeling him. Loving him.”

K.A. Tucker
“I should stalk over there and pee around his table to stake my claim. Wait...what? Jeez, Kacey.”

K.A. Tucker
“No human can bury their past indefinitely. It’s only a matter of time before you crack.”

K.A. Tucker
“What if he's a psychopath who tries to stuff kittens in ATMs?”

K.A. Tucker
“I could lay here and stare at him forever. I don’t want to let go. Ever.”

K.A. Tucker
“And you must be Princess Mia? I've heard about you."

Her lips pucker and she leans out just a bit further from Storm's cover. "You have?!

He nods. "Well, I heard about a Princess Mia who likes ice cream. That must be you, right?"

She nods slowly and whispers, "Did you hear that, Mommy? People know I'm a princess!”

K.A. Tucker
“I can feel his very existence as if it's wrapping its hand around my soul, cradling it, trying to protect it from harm and I'm terrified. Terrified because I don't ever want the feeling to end.”

September 6, 2017 – Started Reading