Laura's Reviews > The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade

The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade by Jordan Sonnenblick

This little book holds some BIG issues! Jordan Sonnenblick’s The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade takes on bullying, alcoholism, and abuse along with heroism, leadership, kindness, and the true meaning and value of having someone on your side.

Maverick Falconer is a short, poor, lonely kid just trying to survive the sixth grade in the halls at school and at home. At school, he has his archenemy Bowen Gregory Strack to contend with. At home, he has his Mom’s drinking and abusive boyfriends to worry about. But on the eve of sixth grade, Maverick decides to take a stand. He decides to stand up for the weak, the short, the….well anyone who needs standing up for. In short (no pun intended), Maverick decides to be a hero.

And a hero he is! I loved this kid. Maverick charges in! He charges into frays and fracases and trouble galore! And hilarity. Maverick’s voice is honest and hilarious.

“Now we are going to sit on the couch, and you are going to tell me everything.”

Everything? I had never told my mom everything. This could potentially take weeks. I had the crazy thought that we might need to send out for water and camping supplies.”

There is no sugar coating things here either. I respect that. Mr. Sonnenblick speaks to young readers without any kind forced sentimental cheesiness. He gives the reader respect. He tells it how it is. I do wish one of the big issues (view spoiler) was addressed a bit more, but overall I really liked how the situations were discussed and wrapped up.

A powerful story that will inspire readers of all ages—big and small—to stand up for themselves and others. We can all be heroes!

Recommended.

Favorite Line: “I sort of liked the idea that sometimes, when you fix a broken star, it ends up stronger than it was before.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade.

September 11, 2017 – Started Reading
September 11, 2017 – Shelved
September 12, 2017 –
page 120
57.69% "Cheese tool! Ha! Great insult and nickname. :D"
September 13, 2017 – Finished Reading