Elaine Tomasso's Reviews > The Liar in the Library

The Liar in the Library by Simon Brett

F 50x66

I would like to thank Netgalley and Severn House for an advance copy of The Liar in the Library, the 18th novel in the Fethering series.

Jude goes to the library to hear author Burton St Clair speak about his latest bestseller, although when Jude knew him 20 years ago he was plain Al Sinclair. Unfortunately his name is the only thing that has changed as he is still the same egocentric Casanova and Jude takes great delight in repulsing his advances (again). When he is found dead in his car and witnesses say she was the last person seen with him she comes under suspicion, leaving Carole to clear her name.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Liar in the Library and although it has been a while since I visited Fethering on the south coast of England not much has changed, apart from a Costa Coffee replacing the cozy tearoom.

The murder mystery is fairly simple with plenty of suspects, an ingenious if unoriginal cause of death and amateur sleuths in the form of Jude and Carole but it allows Mr Brett to inject his trademark humour and take a few accurate potshots. With the action starting in the library and a death by poison it allows him to take aim at the publishing industry, funding cuts in libraries and golden age detective novels but as it is all done with humour he can make his point without it turning into a diatribe.

I like Mr Brett's take on middle class life in Fethering. He has a sharp eye for its prejudices and hypocrisies, like the aforementioned coffee shop, and uses his humour to expose it in all its glory. I also love his caricatures like Burton St Clair, the awful academic, Nessa Perks and the poet Nemone Coote - the names say it all.

The Liar in the Library won't tax your brain but it will make you giggle so I have no hesitation in recommending it as a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liar in the Library.

September 11, 2017 – Started Reading
September 11, 2017 – Shelved
September 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Great review Elaine 💕