Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥'s Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

bookshelves: fantasy-series

”Most prisons are of our own making. A man makes his own freedom, too.”

So this was my first Robin Hobb and I’m positively surprised! =) I mean after reading all those raving reviews I already expected that “Assassin’s Apprentice” would be a good book, I definitely wasn’t prepared for the train of feels that occasionally hit me though. Well, truth be told, that’s actually a bold understatement.

For a book that started out so slowly there certainly were a lot of intense and awesome scenes that had me hooked almost right from the beginning and if you ask me, it’s as good as impossible to read them without being swept away! Hobb has an undeniable talent for the fine arts of building up an interesting storyline and as far as I could tell she never even hesitated to use it! ;-P

While you read the book you stumble over all those typical fantasy tropes (young boy, apprenticeship, relation to the royal family, hard life, etc.), yet the author still managed to make something intriguing and unique. It’s like she used those fantasy tropes as a scaffold in order to build her own world and ideas around it. And tell you what? It worked! XD

This was such a wonderful read and the fact I already borrowed book two from the library should be enough to persuade you to give it a try! ;-)

Since the title of the book is kinda self-explanatory (Assassin’s Apprentice? I can’t help but wonder what it’s going to be about! *lol*) I won’t talk about the plot and will dive right into the characters section instead!

The characters:

WARNING! This is the danger zone! *lol* I’ll spoil in here and if you hate to be spoiled you better run in the other direction! ;-P Can’t say I didn’t warn you, can you? XD

FitzChivalry:

”I know he meant well. But I did not feel protected by him, but confined. He was the warden that ensured my isolation with fanatical fervour. Utter loneliness was planted in me then, and set its deep roots down into me.”

Aww Fitz! I love this Boy! (See what I did there?! XD) He’s so sweet and funny and I can already see him becoming a sassy and clever protagonist in the future! Unfortunately he still has to learn a lot about life and the dangerous world he’s living in so I mostly felt really sorry for him while reading this book. There were so many moments that broke my heart and there were times I was like: CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE THIS POOR BOY A BREAK?!! Plus some of the scenes were so damn amazing that they really stuck with me. For instance the “Silver Knife Scene”! Chade and King Shrewd wanted to test Fitz loyalty and they did it in a very cruel way. My poor Boy suffered so much but once the problem was resolved he didn’t back down. No! He made his point by stealing a silver knife right in front of his King and driving it into the wood of Chade’s shelf! *LOL* THAT WAS SO DAMN AWESOME!!!! The sass and defiance!!! Gosh I loved it so much! Plus can we acknowledge the wonderful atmosphere of the “Poison Scene”? It easily became one of my all-time favourite scenes and the twist was executed so well I could only gasp in disbelieve and awe! So cleverly done, Hobb! So cleverly done! *shakes head*

Chade:

”I’ll be teaching you the nasty, furtive, polite ways to kill people. You’ll either develop a taste for it, or not. That isn’t something I’m in charge of. But I’ll make sure you know how.”

Haha! Chade instantly became one of my favourites of this book! I mean he’s the Royal Assassin and he’s a wise and good man. He has principles, he knows his limits and he did his best to tap his full potential. It made me very sad he was so painfully aware of the fact that he was raising and educating the next generation and that his use was going to run out as soon as his replacement was ready. Yet he still knew that it wasn’t Fitz fault and taught him everything he needed in order to do his job. I have a very deep respect for Chade and I really hope he’ll live through the next two books.

”Sometimes,” grumbled Chade, “it is better to be defiantly wrong than silent.”

”You’re a bastard, Fitz. We’re always a risk and vulnerability. We’re always expendable. Except when we are an absolute necessity to their own security.”

Burrich:

”You failed? No, Fitz. I fialed. I was too soft-hearted to beat it out of you at the first sign of it.”

Gosh, I’m still so torn when I think of Burrich. I mean in some way he’s Fitz father figure and it’s clear he only meant well, but boy the way he tried to raise him was so damn wrong sometimes. *sighs* I mean every parent makes mistakes; we’re all human after all, but to punish Fitz so much? He and Nosy were everything Fitz had and that stubborn mule named Burrich just didn’t realise how much Fitz needed and loved him. He was just a little boy that needed a safe place and it should have been Burrich who provided it. I mean he didn’t even give him a chance to explain. He would have been dead without Fitz connection to Smithy, yet he refused to listen to him. ARGH!!! It makes me so angry. *lol* I know Anish has a different opinion about him, but I just can’t forgive Burrich for what he did. *sighs deeply*

”How you must have hated me.”
“And feared you.”
“All those years? And you never learned better of me, never thought to yourself, ‘He would not do such a thing’?”

Verity:

”I must have dozed, for I woke to his hand on my hair. “Do they tell you to watch over me so, boy, even when I sleep? What do they fear, then?”
“Naught that I know, Verity. They tell me only to bring you food, and see as best I can that you eat it. No more than that.”

I absolutely adored and loved Verity! He’s such an awesome character and he’s always true to his name. I really liked his relationship with Fitz and I hope he’ll feel a lot better in the next book. It hurt to see how much the Skill took from him and for a second near the end I really thought he wouldn’t make it. =( Gosh that was suspenseful! *lol* I’m just glad he’s fine now and I’m sure Princess Kettricken and him will make a wonderful couple. They are both on the more practical side of things and even though it’s no marriage of love, I’m sure Verity will win her heart. (Maybe she’ll win his too? XD)

Regal:

”Ruthlessness creates its own rules. So my mother taught me. People are intimidated by a man who acts with no apparent regard for consequences. Behave as if you cannot be touched and no one will dare to touch you.”

I hate Regal! I hate him so much! Such an arrogant, snobby, superior feeling little piece of s***! He’s a clever villain; I have to give him that but his obvious distaste for Fitz caused me to dislike him from the very start! I mean there are villains and then there are villains! Regal is one I just can’t help but hate! XD How he and Galen treated Fitz was so cruel that I wanted to bang their heads together multiple times! And don’t even get me started about the death of Nosy, if it wouldn’t have been for Nosy Fitz would have died at the end. =((( Oh my, poor Nosy. That last paragraph killed me. He saved him, He dragged him out of the water and then he died, trying to give him strength… I can’t even… *sobs violently*

King Shrewd:

”A bastard, Regal, is a unique thing. Put a signet ring on his hand and send him forth, and you have created a diplomat no foreign ruler will dare to turn away. He may safely be sent where a prince of the blood may not be risked. Imagine the uses for one who is and yet is not of the royal bloodline. Hostage exchanges. Marital alliances. Quiet work. The diplomacy of the knife.”

I still don’t know what to make out of King Shrewd. I mean at the moment he’s obviously on Fitz’s and Verity’s side, but I have no idea which side he’ll choose when we get a better grasp of the big picture. I have no doubt that he’s an opportunist and he’s certainly shrewd enough to use this to his advantage. Plus Regal and Verity are his sons. He might care for them both but I’m sure he’ll support whoever wins their dangerous game in the end. So yeah, I’m #TeamVerity and I really hope Regal won’t get a second chance. ;-)

The Fool:

”Because your heart will be hammered against him, and your strength will be tempered in his fire.”

I loved the Fool! He’s so mysterious and such an intriguing character. I really would have liked to find out more about him, but Hobb kept us in the dark and I’m convinced she had her reasons to do so. I’m pretty sure the Fool knows about everything that happens at court and I’m also more than just certain that he’s an advisor of King Shrewd. I can’t shake the feeling that there’s more to him though and that he might have even disobeyed some of the king’s commands in order to help Fitz. Hobb, I want more of the Fool in the next book! XD

The Wit and The Skill:

”The appetite for the Skill is one that devours a man, not one that nourishes him.”

Boy did it take long until we finally got a decent explanation what the Skill is about. *lol* I know Anish was getting impatient and so was I! Haha! Whilst it’s true that the Skill is an intriguing ability, I’m still fascinated with the Wit as well. I’m convinced that those two go hand in hand and could work together and if I’m correct it’s really remarkable Fitz has an aptitude for both! =) The quote above made me think there might be a connection and since the Skill devours a man and the Wit seems to nourish it, Fitz could be a more than just powerful man! Just think about all the possibilities! ;-P

And with this thought I’m finally ending my rather long review. XD
“Assassin’s Apprentice” was an amazing and well-thought-out fantasy tale and I’m already curious about the next book! =)

Since this was a buddy read with The Sweet Manisha and The Amazing Anish I want to thank them both. I’m sorry Manisha had to drop out of our buddy read at some point but I’m still glad you guys were willing to read this book with me! Thank you for experiencing this with me and also thank you for your interesting thoughts and input! =) It definitely made this an even better read! ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.

September 10, 2017 – Shelved
September 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 11, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy-series
May 4, 2018 – Started Reading
May 5, 2018 –
page 40
10.2% "Poor Fitz! >_< I think those self-explanatory names are fun. Can't help but wonder if Fitz will get a real name one day."
May 6, 2018 –
page 75
19.13% ""No. I'll be teaching you the nasty, furtive, polite ways to kill people. You'll either develop a taste for it, or not. That isn't something I'm in charge of. But I'll make sure you know how."

Say no more, I am intrigued. XD"
May 7, 2018 –
page 107
27.3% "Way to go Fitz! That's my boy! <3
I loved the moment with the silver knife! =)))"
May 10, 2018 –
page 139
35.46% ""You're a bastard, Fitz. We're always a risk and a vulnerability. We're always expendable."

Oh this is such a fantasy book! *lol* Love it! XD"
May 12, 2018 –
page 167
42.6% ""It is a wonder we did not break our necks. But there it is; sometimes luck belongs to children and madmen. That night I felt we were both."

I can relate to this sentiment..."
May 14, 2018 –
page 196
50.0% ""So, good evening to you, fair Lady of the Garden. I bid you good night, and I shall remove my oafish self from your presence."

Haha! I really like Fitz! He definitely has the right attitude. *lol*"
May 16, 2018 –
page 224
57.14% ""Because your heart will be hammered against him, and your strength will be tempered in his fire."

I admit it. I'm a fan of the Fool! *lol*"
May 20, 2018 –
page 260
66.33% ""Eda forbid. You'd be wasted on them. They wouldn't have the wit to understand you, or the heart to appreciate you."

Aww Fitz is so cute and oblivious! <3 Plus I really hate Galen! I'm convinced it's all his fault!!! *grrrr*"
May 21, 2018 –
page 308
78.57% ""The appetite for the Skill is one that devours a man, not one that nourishes him."

I love Verity! He genuinely seems to care about Fitz! <3 And Burrich... gods I feel so conflicted about him. *sighs*"
May 23, 2018 –
page 342
87.24% "To hear Fitz speak about Verity just warmed my heart! <333 And poor boy! Can you please give him a break?! Like seriously! >_<"
May 24, 2018 –
page 370
94.39% "I'm convinced my heart stopped beating multiple times during those last two chapters!
OH. MY. GOSH!"
May 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)

Anish Kohli Yeah! Why would we plan so far into the future? That's totally absurd :P

Manisha Haha! Psh! Who plans these things anyway? 🤓

Anish Kohli Manisha wrote: "Haha! Psh! Who plans these things anyway? 🤓"

No one, right? We didn't do it either ;)

Manisha Anish wrote: "Manisha wrote: "Haha! Psh! Who plans these things anyway? 🤓"

We are just Super spontaneous. 🙃

message 5: by Wynne (new)

Wynne Katherine Enjoyyy <3

Anish Kohli Manisha wrote: "Anish wrote: "Manisha wrote: "Haha! Psh! Who plans these things anyway? 🤓"

No one, right? We didn't do it either ;)"

We are just Super spontaneous. 🙃"

So much so that spontaneous doesnt even cover it! :P

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Manisha wrote: "Anish wrote: "Manisha wrote: "Haha! Psh! Who plans these things anyway? 🤓"

No one, right? We didn't do it either ;)"

We are just Super spontaneous. 🙃"

Yes, very spontaneous! *nods* I mean why should we even plan something like this? ;-P

message 8: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?

Anish Kohli Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

Oh baby don't be jelly! Doesnt look nice on you! :D ;)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Wynne wrote: "Enjoyyy <3"

Thank you, Wynne! <3

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

Oh baby don't be jelly! Doesnt look nice on you! :D ;)"

Naw The Nonplussed Owl Currently reading it and really enjoying it!! Hope you have fun reading this too!

message 13: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

P.S.:
description

message 14: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Virginia Ronan wrote: "Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

Oh baby don't be jelly! Doesnt look nice on you! :D ;)"

Ohh, I love this animosity. *lol* ..."

I love to fight with him! :D Whenever where ever I can! You will see me a lot around if you want no need to hit your head anywhere :D :P

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Naw wrote: "Currently reading it and really enjoying it!! Hope you have fun reading this too!"

Oh that's cool, Naw! Hope you'll enjoy it until the end! XD

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

Oh baby don't be jelly! Doesnt look nice on you! :D ;)"

*looks around* you are talking to ..."

*takes a seat and eats popcorn* I'm really enjoying the show. *lol* Just go on you two. I'll be here munching my popcorn. XD

message 17: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Virginia Ronan wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "The Amazing Anish? Ginny did you hit your head or something recently?"

*looks around*..."

Before you realise it will not be about the book anymore...so let there be enough popcorn!

message 18: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Sorry to waste your popcorn my dear pies! Maybe some other day! :D

message 19: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Sorry to waste your popcorn my dear pies! Maybe some other day! :D"

Hahaha the good thing about popcorn is that it never does go to waste :D

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Tahera wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Sorry to waste your popcorn my dear pies! Maybe some other day! :D"

Hahaha the good thing about popcorn is that it never does go to waste :D"

Haha! True that! We'll just eat it now and make another bowl when you two get at it again! *lmao* *high-fives Tahera*

message 21: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Virginia Ronan wrote: "Tahera wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Sorry to waste your popcorn my dear pies! Maybe some other day! :D"

Hahaha the good thing about popcorn is that it never does go to waste :D"

Haha! True that! W..."

*High-Five* :D

Adrianna [SypherLily] I just read this, it's now one of my favorite books! I already ordered books 2 and 3 :)

Kelly Enjoy it. I've only ever read the first one, but do plan on buying the other...eventually. :)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Adrianna [SypherLily] wrote: "I just read this, it's now one of my favorite books! I already ordered books 2 and 3 :)"

Oh, that sounds really promising then! =) Hope you enjoy the other two books too!

message 25: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar @Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun."

Haha! I also wish I'd understand it, but I never learned Hindi! You can teach me. *lol*

Anish Kohli Virginia Ronan wrote: "Ohh, I love this animosity. *lol* So what's the deal with you two? XD I think I'd hit my head more often if I'd get to see comments like that. Haha! "

Anish Kohli Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "*looks around* you are talking to me? o.O Lol! I think your brain cells already died. "

Aw sweetheart, you know I am talking to you. No need to act all pricey! ;)

message 29: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Anish wrote: "Oh it's just a small matter of her being in love with me! Only she keeps denying her feelings, much like Damon! ;)

Aw sweetheart, you know I am talking to you. No need to act all pricey! ;) "

HE HAS LOST IT! LIKE TOTALLY!

Now I have seen everything in life! *sighs*

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Anish wrote: "Oh it's just a small matter of her being in love with me! Only she keeps denying her feelings, much like Damon! ;)

Aw sweetheart, you know I am talking to you. No need to act all pri..."

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Kelly wrote: "Enjoy it. I've only ever read the first one, but do plan on buying the other...eventually. :)"

Thanks! Maybe my updates will convince you to buy the second one soon. *lol* ;-P

message 32: by Tahera (last edited May 05, 2018 02:28AM) (new)

Tahera Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun."

Who gets bored witnessing cat fights? :D

message 33: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Virginia Ronan wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun."

Haha! I also wish I'd..."

Lol Virginia just stay tuned....you will catch on the gist of it soon :D

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Tahera wrote: "Lol Virginia just stay tuned....you will catch on the gist of it soon :D"

I'll try my best! Haha! ;-)

Anish Kohli Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "HE HAS LOST IT! LIKE TOTALLY!

Now I have seen everything in life! *sighs*"

You're all cute when you hit that capslock! ;)
You've seen everything in life? Really?
Seen the Niagara falls? The Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza? The FBI headquaters? Then you ain't seen it all! :P

Anish Kohli Virginia Ronan wrote: "*munches popcorn again* You two are fun! XD Just keep going, I'll sit here on my sofa and watch you quietly! ;-P"

Best seat in the house! ;)
Pass me a cola though, will you? Talking sense to Ronak is thirsty work! :D

Anish Kohli Tahera wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun."

Who gets bored witnes..."

You're enjoying yourself, aren't you? :P

message 38: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Anish wrote: "Tahera wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

Who ge..."

And munching popcorn :D

Anish Kohli Tahera wrote: "And munching popcorn :D"

Could I share with you till fake Elena gets here? :P

message 40: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Anish wrote: "Tahera wrote: "And munching popcorn :D"

Could I share with you till fake Elena gets here? :P"

Sure!!

Anish Kohli Tahera wrote: "Anish wrote: "Tahera wrote: "And munching popcorn :D"

Could I share with you till fake Elena gets here? :P"

Sure!! "

Lol, I was feeling hungry so yeah, you'll need more popcorn :D

message 42: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Tahera wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "@Tahi how many fights have you already witnessed until now? :P Still craving more?

I so wish Ginny could understand Hindi! It would have been more fun."

Who gets bored witnes..."

You mean to say Annie Meanie is a cat? I more think he is copy mouse :D

message 43: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "HE HAS LOST IT! LIKE TOTALLY!

Now I have seen everything in life! *sighs*"

You're all cute when you hit that capslock! ;)
You've seen everything in life? Really?
Seen the Nia..."

Anish Kohli Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Lame! -_- Aapsey behes karna hi bekaar hain! (**Tahi please ginny ke liye translate karr dena! :D)"

That's bcz you lose everytime! :D

And since when is Tahera your translator, lazy ass? :P

Anish Kohli Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "You mean to say Annie Meanie is a cat? I more think he is copy mouse :D"

Now THAT, was a truly lame one, miss Elena! :)

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Anish wrote: "Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Lame! -_- Aapsey behes karna hi bekaar hain! (**Tahi please ginny ke liye translate karr dena! :D)"

That's bcz you lose everytime! :D

And since when is Tahera your translator,..."

Anish Kohli Virginia Ronan wrote: "You two are fun! I don't understand a single word of Hindi but it's funny to read. *lol*"

Lol, glad to be of service! :)
It's just that Ronak loves me too much to resist me so she keeps blabbing something or the other to keep me engaged ;)

message 48: by Ronak (new)

Ronak Gajjar Uthaa ke nah fenk aaungi kahin kachre mein aapko main -_- Kattkhane kahike :# :@

MR.DEVIL*******  RELOADED[ version 2.O] app indian ho didi ?

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Ronak(Pihu) wrote: "Uthaa ke nah fenk aaungi kahin kachre mein aapko main -_- Kattkhane kahike :# :@"

O_o *shrugs and continues to eat popcorn because she has no idea what this means* LOL

« previous 1