Alexandra's Reviews > Homer's Odyssey

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

F 50x66
Sep 20, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Homer’s Odyssey is a memoir written by a 25 year old woman named Gwen Cooper. The story intrigued me, what I enjoyed most was how it locked me in to the story emotionally and visually. I was able to create a scene in my head with the adjectives Cooper used throughout the story. The book begins with Cooper talking about her love and fascination for cats, this leads to how her adoption of Homer had become. Homer is a black cat that she adopted when he was only a few weeks old. The only difference with Homer is that when he was adopted he had no eyes due to an eye infection. The story continues on about the effort she put into making Homer comfortable, which could be difficult moving from home to home, getting a new job in another state, forcing the blind cat to adjust to different areas. What I liked the most about this book was the writing style. Cooper knew how to use words that would describe scenes and emotion as if you were there. She used words like mournfully, rapidly, tantamount, and malice. These words made the scenes come to life, and even if you didn’t know their definition she used them often enough to be able to comprehend them within the text. I also liked how she told the story of her life throughout the memoir, her tone sounded honest, personable, and as if she were telling the story directly to you.
The major theme brought up in the book was how Homer was a blind cat, yet he seemed happier and more playful and protective than any other cat she knew. She was impressed at how well he functioned, and how sad it is that people discriminated against cats of that sort because “they weren’t normal”. The book literally made me want to get a cat after reading it because it made me feel so compassionate for them. It made me sad thinking there were animals with disabilities that don’t get adopted and people don’t care. The text clearly impacted me emotionally and grabbed my attention. The book is about love and compassion. The text is a good challenging read for a 17 year old age group.
"We watched it, mesmerized. It radiated outward in an opaque cloud of soot and debris that swallowed up everything in its path for blocks around. The building where my cats still were. My body followed the direction my head was already pointing in, and I began to push my way through the crowd."
I chose this quote because it showed how devoted Cooper has always to her cats. She has changed her life according to them, broke up with men who didn't like them, and describes her unconditional love for them. I thought the book was extremly powerful, emotional, and a great read for all ages. There isn't a way for someone to not feel compassion when reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer's Odyssey.