Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Scorpio Races is such a beautifully written tale, I swear I could cry. In retrospect, I did cry while reading the book. In fact, I’ve experienced a dozen different emotions while reading. The entire story was exciting, intriguing, terrifying, hilarious, romantic, inspiring, fantastical and heartwarming. I adored it.

It’s funny because I was never a fan of Ms. Maggie Stiefvater. I tried reading Shiver but got so bored I didn’t even finish it. I gave her a second chance in Raven Boys and even though I liked it enough, I thought it was nothing impressive that I only ended with Dream Thieves and decided not to push through with the series.

But Scorpio Races is a lot different from her other books that after reading the prologue, I was already sure I’d fall in love which is weird because the book is just basically about wild, ugly, devilish horses based on Celtic myth also called capaill uisce pronounced as “copple ooshka” that sprout from the ocean. These creatures can be compared to sharks but the former are a lot worse because they’re both land and sea creatures and could gallop. (omg!) Their grotesque, wicked grin could give you nightmares. Ack!

But the plotline is completely amazing. These wild horses and their riders will race every November in what the town calls as the “Scorpio Races”. It’s dangerous and life threatening but Puck, our heroine must (for a lot of important reasons) join the races and take her chances on her ole regular horse called Dove . In joining, Puck defies their culture by being the first girl ever to join the races and tests her odds against all these awesome riders including the four time Scorpio Races champion, Sean Kendrick. *blushes*

Afgdkhajklmmnsnbklp! Gaaaaah! It’s just so gorgeously written with a cast of fully developed, unforgettable characters, picturesque setting and adorably subtle romance. I can’t even. Also, Puck is hilarious!

“I’m a bit ashamed to recall that I told Brian that if he died and kept me from my cinnamon twist, I’d spit on his grave”

"I know that his nose is big enough to hide acorns in.”

Lol! So there! I’m sorry I couldn’t come up with a more coherent review because I couldn’t contain my fangirling. What I’m pretty sure of is that Scorpio Races will make a spot in my top 5 favorites reads of 2017. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Started Reading
September 10, 2017 – Shelved as: physically-owned-books
September 10, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: five-stars
May 13, 2019 – Shelved as: unexpectedly-good

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine Wonderful review, Aj! I'd love to read this one sometime later. :)

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Love your fangirling reviews! =)

Eilonwy Beautiful review, Ading AJ! This book completely deserves all the tongue-tied fangirling. <3

message 4: by Masooma (new)

Masooma Absolutely great review, Aj. If I get the time, I'd definitely like to read this book :)

message 5: by Alafiya (new)

Alafiya I had the same feelings for Shiver and The Raven Boys, so hopefully when I read this book I'd give it five stars as well. :D Amazing review, Aj! ^-^ xoxo

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Excellent review, Aj! :) I'm so happy this will be one of your top favorites for 2017! Yay! :D

Books are TARDIS Hysterically sobbing because this review pinpoints every single thing that I loved about this book. Sean Kendrick, you perfect home bean, asddfasaskjfd. Puck. The island. The characters. The setting. Love the review *incoherent blubbering*

message 10: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara Yup, I most definitely am interested. I loved your review Aj! It's pulling me to get my hands on this book!

message 11: by Katerina (new) - added it

Katerina Alright, I'm sold! Fantastic review, Aj!

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) Excellent review, Aj! It's such a good feeling when a book can make such a big impact on you!

message 13: by Candace (new)

Candace Wonderful review, Aj! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Jasmine: I’d love for you to read this too, Jazz. Thank you so much. <3

Tom: Lol! Thanks a lot. ^^

Ate Holly: This book really does, Ate. Thank you so much. <3

Masooma: Thank you sooo much, Masooma. I hope you end up liking it too. <3

Alafiya: Oh yeah? High five, Alafiya! I do hope this book does its magic on you too. Thank you so much, my dear. <3

Ate Jen and Amy: Thank you so much, lovely ladies. <3

Fai: Hysterically sobbing with you, Fai. This book! I can’t. I don’t usually re-read fantasy books but I think I’ll make an exception with this one. Thank you, thank you so much, my friend. <3

Veronica: Yes, you do! <3

Tammy: Yaaaay! That makes me so glad. Thank you so much, my dearest. <3

Katerina: Yaaaaas! Thank you so much, lovely. <3

Ana: It is really good, my dear. <3

Ate Tanya: It really is, dear Ate. Thank you so much. <3

Candace: Thank you so much, gorgeous. <3

message 15: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Amazing review, Ate AJ! <3