Ashley's Reviews > For Every Solution, A Problem

For Every Solution, A Problem by Kerstin Gier

bookshelves: 2017, buddy-read-with-sabrina

Read full review at: 5171 Miles Book Blog.

This was one of the most fun reading experiences I have ever had, because Sabrina (my blogging partner) chose to read her German copy and I read the translated-to-English copy. It was entertaining to discover how certain topics were translated and how they compared. Surprising to me was the complete accuracy within the English copy, which garners some praise.

Before I get too far ahead of myself, let me give you some insight into what this novel is about: When Gerri receives news her job as a romance writer is being cut because of the merging of her publisher with another, she decides to try her hand a new kind of writing. Letters, or more aptly, suicide letters. She begins to see her life as worthless as her mother leads her to believe it is. She is in her early thirties with no job, no college education, no money, she’s single with no prospects, and most unfortunately, she is the only brunette in a family of blondes. With a shoebox full of sleeping pills and a fancy hotel room, Gerri decides she is going to put herself out of her and everyone else’s misery … only to have her plans fall apart. Now she must face the consequences of life after mailing suicide letters to her family and friends.

When a book’s main plot is centered around suicide, it’s hard to believe the story could be hilariously entertaining, but Kerstin Gier definitely managed to make me laugh out loud more than once. The story is full of funny misunderstandings between the characters, moments that will make readers cringe at the possibility of them happening in real life, and lots of witty family drama. This was also the first book I’ve read set in modern Germany, which allowed me to learn about some of the customs and way of life in Sabrina’s country that I hadn’t known before. For instance, the story mentioned when German’s move to a new apartment, they will sometimes take their kitchens with them to their new home! This seemed so foreign to me and was interesting to learn about.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story because it was completely different than my usual reads as of late, and allowed me to experience something new while laughing my way through the pages. Though For Every Solution, A Problem was published in 2006, the story is still relevant to today and worth reading. You’ll even get a glimpse back in time to the vampire craze of the mid-2000’s. 😉 I hope I can encourage more American readers to check out this book. It is a riot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Every Solution, A Problem.

September 10, 2017 – Started Reading