Maine Colonial's Reviews > London Rules

London Rules by Mick Herron

bookshelves: british, novel, police-procedural

There are so many excellent reviews already posted that I’m not going to go into a lot of detail here. What I do want to say is that this is my favorite of the Slough House series since the first book—and none of them is a dud.

Where le Carré was the master of the Cold War espionage story and nailed that sense of betrayal lurking around every corner, Mick Herron writes for our era, when there is no defined enemy state, but there are mindless agents of all kinds of screwed-up organizations who could plant a bomb on your subway car or shoot up your neighborhood. “Terrorbots,” as MI5’s people like to call them.

And if you thought le Carré’s characters were cynical, well, they were babes in the woods compared to Herron’s. As the book says, #1 in the London Rules is “cover your arse.” Every politician and every security agent has that rule firmly in mind and can pivot from one position to its opposite without effort or qualm as long as CYA is involved.

Correction: not quite every security agent. Jackson Lamb is not a CYA kind of guy. The opposite, really. Sure, he likes to keep what goes on in Slough House on the down low, but he doesn’t care about protecting his position or maneuvering to move up. Slough House may be everyone else’s idea of a pit of misery, but Lamb is where he wants to be and he only connives against security service colleagues if necessary—or when it’s too entertaining to resist.

In London Rules, the Slow Horses get involved in a terrorbot spree, as usual defying HQ in the process. We learn some more back story, including exactly how Jackson Lamb got to Slough House. And there are so many great lines that I kind of regretted getting this on audiobook and not being able to highlight them. But if you are tempted to get the audiobook, go ahead, the reader is good.

If you’ve never read any of the books in the series, you could still jump in with this one. Ideally, though, you’d at least read Slow Horses first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read London Rules.

September 10, 2017 – Shelved
September 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 15, 2018 – Started Reading
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: british
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: novel
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: police-procedural
February 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Picky Virgo Bummer — I’ll have to wait until June to get this for Kindle!

Maine Colonial You made me realize I have this as the Kindle edition, when I actually listened to the UK audiobook. But the audiobook isn't yet listed on GR.

Picky Virgo I know that release dates vary from country to country. Pre-Kindle I used to order Phil Rickman’s Merrily Watkins hardcovers from Amazon UK just to get them 2-3 months earlier. But because I’ve switched to Kindle I now have to wait for the US release date, which is even later than that of the US hardcover. I will try to be patient. Slough House is worth the wait.

Brenda I am SO looking forward to this book! Great enticing review!

Maine Colonial This is one of those books that just makes you happy because it's so much fun to read. It's a tough act to follow, that's for sure. Poor Flavia de Luce seems dull by comparison. I might have to switch to a completely different genre as a palate cleanser!

I hope you and PV enjoy it as much as I did.