Mandy's Reviews > The Uncrossing

The Uncrossing by Melissa Eastlake

I realllllly enjoyed this. Seriously, I really enjoyed this. Eastlake creates a wonderfully unique New York with dueling magical families; an adorable ship that I so desperately wanted to sail; a unique little twist on a magical fairytale concept; and truly likable characters full of flaws and heart. I found myself devouring almost all of this in one sitting on a long car ride, and it was one of the most enjoyable car rides I've ever had because of it.

Let's start at the beginning! The world was unique and wonderful. When I first read the summary, I got some A Darker Shade of Magic vibes for some odd reasons, and trust me, this book had those vibes for me as well. Perhaps the biggest comparisons is how well done the worlds are. Eastlake takes regular ole New York City and adds in a layer of curses, famous magical families that are practically the magical mafia, and two boys with some epic magic. It was full of diversity, intriguing mythology, a little bit of an old school fairytale twist, and some very interesting powers/magic. It was so cool, and I never knew what was going to happen next.

The characters were amazing as well. I adored both Luke and Jeremy. They were flawed, but they were oh so real. They were likable and so well developed. They had facets to each of them, and they brought something a little bit different to the story. I loved reading about both of their families as well. They were both so involved in their families, and the dynamics were amazing. Usually in a story with two main characters, I find myself leaning or connecting to one of the characters more than the other, but I really did enjoy them both so immensely.

The ship was adorable as well. I lovedddddddddddd them together. I just sat there each page, going, but WHEN ARE MY TWO BABIES GOING TO GET TOGETHER BECAUSE I CAN'T DEAL WITH ALL OF THIS SEXUAL TENSION? They were so cute together, and I can't even deal. XD

There were only a few issues that I had with the book. At times, it felt like it was just taking far too long to get anywhere. Even though I enjoyed reading it and I didn't know what was coming, I just thought that it could get to a lot of things quite a bit faster. And there were a few things that just had my eyebrows raised. But overall, it was a good story, but a few little things left me from giving it a five crown read.

Overall, this story was a fantastic read. I'm still thinking about it quite a few days later, and I think these characters were super well done. There were a few things that I didn't connect with as much, but I think it was a very good book. I definitely recommend this book for anyone that is looking for a super cool fantasy book that is something a little bit different. Four crowns and an Ariel rating!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncrossing.

September 9, 2017 – Shelved
September 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 14, 2017 – Started Reading
September 15, 2017 –
15.0% "I hate it when I start a book on the day before but forget to post on here because it totally messes with my head. Really good so far, though! THE SHIP IS SO REAL."
September 16, 2017 – Finished Reading