Bev 's Reviews > Show Me the Way

Show Me the Way by A.L. Jackson

Sigh ... Show Me The Way really didn't work for me. I used to love ALJ's writing and inhaled all her earlier works, this one not so much. I went in expecting the heart-clutching angst that her earlier books had, here the angst got lost in all the relentless martyrdom and inner monologue going around in circles. He's a martyr extrordinaire, she's a doormat/martyr which was just plain overload.

There were secrets that they kept from each other .... ergo miscommunication. I get that, but what I struggled with is that as the reader I do not want to have to wait until around the 70% mark for those secrets to slowly start being revealed to me. By then I had lost interest and when the manufactured ex drama hit the fan I about lost the plot.

I did a fair bit of skimming just to call this done

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show Me the Way.

September 9, 2017 – Shelved
January 28, 2018 – Started Reading
January 29, 2018 –
55.0% "Bloody hell, this is hard work!"
January 29, 2018 –
80.0% "Oh for shits sake, I'm drowing in the martyrdom. 🙄😥"
January 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

**Vee** Great review Bev, I felt the same, I was skimming the last 1/4 just to get to the end.

Bev **Vee** wrote: "Great review Bev, I felt the same, I was skimming the last 1/4 just to get to the end."

Thanks Vee, I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I was so disappointed with this one I'm not even going to bother with the next one.

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Sorry it was a bust, Bev... Hope your next read is better <3

Bev Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Sorry it was a bust, Bev... Hope your next read is better <3"

Thanks Alex. I had a pretty darn good run for January so hope to get back to the wins again xo

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Sorry it wasn’t better Bev 🧡

Bev Deborah wrote: "Sorry it wasn’t better Bev 🧡"

Thanks hun xo

message 7: by Selene (new)

Selene This one seems like a frustrating headache inducing read. Fingers crossed that your next book will be awesome, Bev :))

Bev Selene wrote: "This one seems like a frustrating headache inducing read. Fingers crossed that your next book will be awesome, Bev :))"

Frustrating indeed. Next one was a lot better thanks xo

message 9: by Jask (new) - added it

Jask Afsh Did he cheat on her with his wife?why does he let his wife sleep in HIS bedroom?

message 10: by Jask (new) - added it

Jask Afsh Is she settling for him being his third choice. First being girlfriend he still loves, next his wife who he would have got together if he didn't meet the h and his last option the poor doormat h?

Bev Jask wrote: "Did he cheat on her with his wife?why does he let his wife sleep in HIS bedroom?"

Jask wrote: "Is she settling for him being his third choice. First being girlfriend he still loves, next his wife who he would have got together if he didn't meet the h and his last option the poor doormat h?"

To be honest the book was so poor I remember very little of it so can't answer your questions.

message 12: by Jask (new) - added it

Jask Afsh Bev wrote: "Jask wrote: "Did he cheat on her with his wife?why does he let his wife sleep in HIS bedroom?"

Ok