Virginia Books's Reviews > Gray's Shadow

Gray's Shadow by K.A. Merikan

19380470

bookshelves: bikers, lgbt, sci-fi-romance, personal-arcs, dark-ish, my-rambles, vamps-myths-and-fantasy-stuff
Read 2 times. Last read August 4, 2018 to August 11, 2018.

Warning: this is book four in a series. Not a standalone. This demon —Baal— has been tormenting these guys for a while now. Start from the beginning, Laurent and the Beast and immerse yourself in the weirdly funny, creepy and obscure Kings of Hell world.

Bizarre. A perfectly achieved gothic climate. A fantastic dark comedy featuring some of the weirdest and most attractive characters. Probably, my favorite in the series.

This book was brilliant. Surreal and creepy but sweet and lovely somehow. Again that dichotomy so present in KA Merikan’s work that I love so much. But I dare to say this installment was more surrealistic, more exaggerated maybe, reaching an extremely dark but funny atmosphere so great, so easy to read, so I’m laughing aloud but I know this is not funny kinda thing.

I was trapped by the claustrophobic and disturbing beginning and its contrast with the comical next scene in a car. As usual, contrast, contrast and more contrast.
Duality
in Shadow: how can a creature from hell be so adorable and naive?
Duality in the darkness vs the love story. And it was romantic. And sweet.
Duality in the seriousness of the plot vs the more than funny conversations taking place in the weirdest, creepiest moments. Hilarious. It reminded me a bit to the histrionism of Twin Peaks. Maybe histrionism is not the word. Maybe it’s a mix of weird, funny and kafkaesque. I don’t know how to describe the impact of the situations here. That good. That rare. That particular.

And what about Gray... my lonely, weary, half broken and poor Gray. He was hard at first with Shadow and I felt sorry for the needy (and strong) supernatural being but I’m Gray’s. I’ve been Gray’s from book one. He’s loyal, he’s good, he’s sexy he’s...this:

So if you like what I’ve highlighted in this little rambling jump in to book one immediately and you won’t regret it. Highly recommended book and highly recommended series.

▶️

Advanced copy for review. Thank you dear and brilliant authors!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gray's Shadow.

Finished Reading
August 11, 2018 – Shelved as: dark-ish
August 11, 2018 – Shelved as: my-rambles
August 11, 2018 – Shelved as: vamps-myths-and-fantasy-stuff
August 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Simone (new)

Simone I'm glad you are having a blast with these books and that this one was no exception. You know it's not my thing. *Ahem* psst... I didn't like Twin Peaks either 🙈, but I'm weird like that. 😊 Amazing review, sweetie! 😘

Judith Yay!! Great review,babe xx

message 3: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Lesar Great review 😁

Virginia Books Sorry ladies I’m totally MIA lately and I didn’t see these comments!
Jude and Lorraine, thank you ❤️
Jude I read your review on Saturday, fabulous as usual and so in tune with what I felt. I didn’t comment though because I read it on the run.
Simone WHAT? *looking frantically for the button “unfriend this beotch”* that’s kinda sacrilege! LOL. I’ll try to find a minute and WhatsApp you later, hun. What a summer 😥

message 5: by Christelle (new)

Christelle O.M.G : you're unfriending Simone ?? When is it going to be my turn ?? **biting my nail :-(**

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan  Christelle wrote: "O.M.G : you're unfriending Simone ?? When is it going to be my turn ?? **biting my nail :-(**"

I am starting to think that this unfriend thing will be a mass operation Bwahahahaha! LOL
@ Vir, my luv!! I'm really happy to see your 5 stars :D Fab review as always. xx

message 7: by Virginia Books (last edited Aug 14, 2018 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Virginia Books 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I’m not unfriending Simone because our bond is bigger than Twin Peaks but seriously, ladies? No one? 🤣
You know I won’t unfriend you either, Jan and Christelle. Even if you don’t have any criteria judging tv shows! 😏

message 8: by Simone (new)

Simone WHAAAAAATTTTTTT? I'm glad I missed the first 'unfriending' comments, otherwise it wouldn't be necessary anymore 'cause me = having a heartattack!!!! LOL.

message 9: by Christelle (new)

Christelle I feel like we are on the verge to start a water-balloon fight over KA Merikan and Twin Peaks, LOL ;-)

Virginia Books Simone xDDDDDD you know our friendship can manage this and more LOL

Christelle, water balloons are too soft for this war xDD

message 11: by Simone (new)

Simone Virginia Books wrote: "Simone xDDDDDD you know our friendship can manage this and more LOL

Christelle, water balloons are too soft for this war xDD"

I do! <3<3<3
Uh-oh... Vir is pulling out the big guns. LOL.