Jeanette's Reviews > Futurevision: 20 Stories about the Future by 20 Australian Authors

Futurevision by Delia Strange

bookshelves: anthology-collection, australian-author, dystopian, fiction, science-fiction, short-fiction

Futurevision (edited by Delia Strange) - 20 Aussie authors, 20 visions of the future, 20 bite sized sci-fi stories - this is a great little book with big ideas.

One of the stories is mine - but that's not why I've given this book 5 stars. It's because I loved each story and the majority of them wowed me, keeping me flicking through the pages to find out what happened next. I found it impossible to stop at one, often reading 2 or 3 at a time.

The stories give diverse visions of the future - from those that could be next year to those in the distant future, from dystopias, disasters and invasions to more hopeful visions of the future or space opera adventures. Some left me looking over my shoulder, some elicited tears, others left me smiling - most left me thinking about life, identity and what sort of future we want to make for ourselves and our children.

Some of my favs
- Nola Passmore's 100 Words - what if we were restricted to 100 words, no more or else.
- Sophie L MacDonald's God and the Machine - for a great twist of what it means to be human.
- Duncan Richardson's Profile - what if our participation in society depends on our digital imprint
- Nyssa Baschal's Sanctuary - a drastic future with drastic solutions in the sea, & hey, mermaids
- R A Purtill's Ground Zero - can premonitions of the end save us from disaster or do they bring it about?
- PetaFitzpatrick's Scheduled for Service - a heart wrenching story that is a terrifying possibility
-Julian St Auburn Green's Bad Hair Day - for a truly original conception of the plague (which is almost cute if a little creepy) & a surprising ending

And I do like mine story too (Rendezvous at Alexgaia)- a bit of space opera fun.

I'm looking forward to Delia Strange and 1231 Publishing's next anthology in 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Futurevision.

September 9, 2017 – Started Reading
September 9, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction
September 9, 2017 – Shelved as: science-fiction
September 9, 2017 – Shelved as: short-fiction
September 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nola I really like it too, but I'm also a bit biased :) Only a few more stories to go and then I'll put up a review.

Jeanette Nola wrote: "I really like it too, but I'm also a bit biased :) Only a few more stories to go and then I'll put up a review."

Looking forward to your review Nola :) Loved your story, it's a great way to start the anthology.