Bill's Reviews > Fool Moon

Sep 20, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read from September 20 to 23, 2011

146 pages in and I can't finish it.

I can't remember being bothered by these things in Storm Front, but
there are two things that I can't get past with Fool Moon:

1) It seems that every few pages I'll hit a paragraph where Harry
asks himself half a dozen questions about the predicament he's in, and
half of those are questions he already asked himself a few pages back.

2) Murphy. Is there a more senseless bitch in literature? No.
Hey, I love miserable characters, the ones you love to hate, but Murphy's belligerence towards Harry makes no sense at all. At some points in Storm Front, there was an underlying sexual tension between the two, your typical will-they-or-won't-they relationship. At least they seemed to be buddies. Murphy is the sole cop who believes in Harry as a wizard, and hires him on to help out with crimes that seem to be outside of the human realm. Harry is always eager to help, and also puts his life on the line to protect her.
So why does she continue to shit on him, throw him under the bus, punch him, arrest him, etc. every step of the way? IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Oh, okay, so she's pissed off because he's keeping secrets from her for her own protection. Big freaking deal, lady. If you want to be that involved, then don't hire him in the first place and good luck with the demons. At least that would be my take if I were Harry. But no, he still keeps coming back for more abuse.

I can respect the most heinous of characters. As long as their motivations make sense, even if driven by psychosis, they will interest me and I will care about what bent things they're going to come up with next.
But I can't respect characters whose actions are totally unreasonable and without logic.
Apparently the series gets better after a few novels, but I can't push myself through another 254 pages of this.

Oh, and there was this brilliant moment:
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Moon.

Sean Ellis after 2 books the only character I can stand is the crime boss