Lauren's Reviews > Pupcakes

Pupcakes by Annie England Noblin

Fun Fact: I LOVE pugs. They're actually my favorite dog breed, and if I'm ever to own a dog one day, it's definitely going to be a pug.

Therefore, when I heard about Pupcakes, and more importantly, saw the ADORABLE cover, I was 100% sold. I needed this holiday book in my life and PRONTO.

The Result? I've read a decent amount of good holiday books so far this season (Chasing Christmas Eve and Holiday Spice), but Pupcakes is by far my favorite so far! Combining a relatable and lovable cast of characters, swoon worthy romance, and most importantly, a fabulous, sleepy, trash loving pup named Teddy Roosevelt, Pupcakes had me 100% hooked! And as much as I needed to know how everything ended, some parts of me couldn't bear to see the story end. And that, my friends, is what I call a fantastic book - a MUST READ!

One of my absolute favorite parts of Pupcakes was the eccentric and warm cast of characters Annie introduced.

Brydie was someone I had an easy time not only liking but relating to. When we are first introduced to Brydie, she's having a tough time. The life she thought was perfect and wonderful? Well, it wasn't as perfect as she thought. Now she's a thirty something, bouncing from house to house, hoping she'll be able to pick up the pieces along the way. However, the moment she moves into Pauline's house, becoming the primary caretaker to little Teddy, Brydie begins to change. She goes from becoming someone who's so so sad and down on her luck to someone who wants to try again, be it in the form of baking, romance, new adventures and/or friendships. I fully enjoyed watching this evolution occur, and what I liked the most about it was how perfectly imperfect Brydie was. Brydie becomes this strong, inventive, and empowering character, but she still screws up - says the wrong thing, does the wrong thing, etc. - and that's what made her journey so so incredibly realistic in my opinion.

In addition to Brydie, I loved Pauline, Teddy's owner. Pauline was such an interesting woman - someone who honestly I could've read a whole book about since I feel like she has some CRAZY stories! What I loved the most about Pauline, however, was how she helped Brydie get her life together, offering her the type of advice she desperately didn't want to hear but NEEDED to hear. Nathan, Brydie's love interest, was also great! It was fun seeing his conflict between being a friend to Brydie was also being a doctor to Pauline. Additionally, the cast of dog lovers in this had me laughing out loud constantly, the scenes at the dog birthday party had to be some of my favorite! I'm so planning to go back and re-read them at some point.

The plot in this was much more than the typical holiday romance, and that's what truly made Pupcakes stand out to me. Rather than just focus on the developing romance between Nathan and Brydie, Pupcakes focuses primarily on finding yourself, especially when life hasn't turned out the way you thought it would. This theme is shown throughout in the book in different facets, be it Brydie's life, Brydie's mother life, Nathan's life, and even Pauline's life. I feel like the stories seen in here are important to see, because who hasn't had something turn out the complete opposite way they thought it should. More importantly, I enjoyed seeing the "rebirth" happen.

Lastly, I thought Annie's writing was great in this! I enjoyed how she divided the book up into three months - October, November, and December - because not only did she incorporate not one but THREE holidays into this but each month was incredibly important to Brydie's progress. Additionally, while this book is told in third person, never once did it bother me - I felt fully connected to the characters as well as the story. Plus, that epilogue?! I was CRYING! Mostly happy tears, though - I promise.

In all, I can't suggest Pupcakes highly enough! If you love hilarious yet touching holiday books, this book is for you! I simply can't wait to read more by Annie!

Grade: A+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pupcakes.

September 8, 2017 – Shelved
September 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 8, 2017 – Started Reading
October 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I love the title =)