Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > To Kill a Kingdom

To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

bookshelves: 2018-arcs, ya-fantasy, retellings

That was absolutely brilliant. I'll read anything that has even a hint of a retelling, but this is probably one of the best I've ever found... it's what I never knew I wanted The Little Mermaid to become!

Lira's a siren princess whose ruthless Sea Queen mother teaches her to steal power & the futures of kingdoms by taking the hearts of princes. (PS the sea queen has tentacles, a trident, and is amazing... she's kind of like Ursula on a bad day).

Lira has flaming hair and is referred to by humans as the "Prince's Bane." One day the Sea Queen punishes her by turning her into a human and sending her to land, where Lira plans to bring back Elian's heart to win her mother's favor. Elian's a cocky pirate prince whose crew kills sirens to protect his kingdom. He can speak 15 languages, including the language of the sea. There are rumors and fairy tales of a crystal that he could use to rid the sirens of their power and kill the Sea Queen, so he takes his crew on a quest.

This story was just straight up fun to read! The world, characters, and plot were established so well that the story just unfolded naturally. The hate-to-love romance worked perfectly, the pacing was great, the writing was strong... I have zero complaints.

I loved how I could totally see the outline of The Little Mermaid and the various clever parts that pay tribute to that story, yet this was still its own totally unique plot. Everything got SO wonderfully creative that I had a stupid grin on my face in parts. I honestly laughed out loud at so many scenes!

If you like YA fantasy, retellings, or cocky guys like Nikolai, Thorne, & Cresswell, then definitely check out this one!

Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kill a Kingdom.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Enchanted Feather Co. Sounds amazing! I’ll definitely have to pick up a copy when I can!

Caroline Sounds up my alley!

message 3: by Martu (new) - added it

Martu Castro Vallejo "If you like YA fantasy, retellings, or cocky guys like Nikolai" You got me there, sister.

Cait • A Page with a View Martu wrote: ""If you like YA fantasy, retellings, or cocky guys like Nikolai" You got me there, sister."

ha that's awesome -- hope you love it then!!

Cait • A Page with a View Enchanted Feather Co. wrote: "Sounds amazing! I’ll definitely have to pick up a copy when I can!"

Caroline wrote: "Sounds up my alley!"

yay, hope you like it :)

Candace Robinson Loved this one!

Alexis Sounds great, Little Mermaid was always one of my favourites so this sounds perfect for me. Thanks!

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ OMG, sounds fantastic! Can't wait =D

Anna So excited to read this!

message 10: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella Ferreira hii when it read the end.. im very familiar with nikolai, but who are the other guys?

message 11: by Eyal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eyal Cohen Sounds awesome! Thank you for reviewing it!
Do you know if it’s a stand-alone?

Sunshine Poet I LOVED It 🧡

message 13: by Hafsa (new) - added it

Hafsa Great review! Dying to get my hands on this one now!!