Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > Legendary

Legendary by Stephanie Garber

bookshelves: 2018-arcs

Ok someone has to do this gif:

Anywayssss I just read this book in one sitting with a stupid grin on my face because the way everything unfolds is absolutely BRILLIANT. I won't spoil anything here, though!! Just a few random thoughts...

The main character in this sequel is Scarlett's sister Tella, whom I absolutely love. She has so much agency that it's just amazing to watch the story take shape:

"Tella might have been many things, but she was far from silly or worthless or whatever labels people liked to affix because a person was young and female. Tella liked to think that was where much of her strength came from. She was bold. She was brave. She was cunning. And she was going to come out of this triumphant - no matter the cost."

Tella needs to win Caraval to see her mother again, but will also come face-to-face with Legend if she wins. I thought we might possibly maaaaaybe have an advantage going into this story since we're familiar with Caraval from the previous book. But, nope... we're told that the game is real this time, so even the general concept of Caraval is unreliable.

Once again, the story becomes an incredibly twisted web of identities, loyalties, and motivations (even from characters you think you know). For most of this book I was sitting there like "EVERYONE IS LEGEND. NOBODY IS LEGEND. Am I Legend?!"

I would love to see how Stephanie plots out these stories because they're such a fun roller coaster of reveals and FEELS. Her strong writing is another aspect that really stands out... I honestly couldn't put this down and totally forgot I was reading a piece of paper. The execution is so good and the writing is so engaging that it's completely effortless to read. That alone is so, so wonderful to find, but then there's an awesome story on top of it aaaaand now I have a major book hangover.

Umm other things I loved: the cocky guys, POC characters, romance, new setting, and that ending omgggg. I don't care what we've been told - I STILL TRUST NOTHING OK.

Basically, this was everything I hoped for. If you liked Caraval then get excited for this one!!

Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC. The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legendary.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Larissa ☾ I can’t wait til may to read it!!! I loved Caraval ❤️

Eliza Luckey Haha ‘am I legend?’

Karri Sweeten What about Scarlett and Julian? Do we get more of their story? I felt like theirs was somewhat unresolved in Caraval.

message 4: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Yes!! Can't wait!

message 5: by Jamie :) (new)

Jamie :) Should I read the first book in order to have the chance to read this??

message 6: by Lucia (new) - added it

Lucia L. Hi! I love Caraval! I love everything, the characters , the story, question, am the only one who taught “Willy Wonka” (Burton’s edition) when Legend appeared?

message 7: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa You make it sound like the one I'd want... and I really want it

Cait • A Page with a View Lucia wrote: "Hi! I love Caraval! I love everything, the characters , the story, question, am the only one who taught “Willy Wonka” (Burton’s edition) when Legend appeared?"

ha I didn't until you just said that but now I'm cracking up

Cait • A Page with a View Aqsa wrote: "You make it sound like the one I'd want... and I really want it"

hope you love it then! :)

Cait • A Page with a View Jamie :) wrote: "Should I read the first book in order to have the chance to read this??"

Yeah I think you'd definitely want to read the first book to get the plot in the second one.

Cait • A Page with a View Eliza wrote: "Haha ‘am I legend?’"

ughhh so true though haha

Cait • A Page with a View Larissa ☾ wrote: "I can’t wait til may to read it!!! I loved Caraval ❤️"

only a few more months!!

Cait • A Page with a View Karri wrote: "What about Scarlett and Julian? Do we get more of their story? I felt like theirs was somewhat unresolved in Caraval."

Yes - they're definitely there! I wasn't sure if it was a spoiler to say, but most familiar faces are back.

message 14: by Georgia (new)

Georgia I wasn’t overly keen on Caraval but WTF this review makes me want to read this so bad 😭

Alexandrea Furr No joke I literally thought about using this gif for my blog!! Should have done it lol

message 16: by Rizkiadiffa (new) - added it

Rizkiadiffa I'm so jealous you read the novel before it published :((

Cait • A Page with a View Alexandrea wrote: "No joke I literally thought about using this gif for my blog!! Should have done it lol"

you totally still should! it's the perfect fit :)

message 18: by Umut (new) - rated it 5 stars

Umut Reviews I LOVED that gif!!!

D̸o̸c̸T̸h̸o̸t̸ That’s one of my screen names 😂😂 love Barney for it