Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog)'s Reviews > Dubious

Dubious by Charmaine Pauls

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, arc, bdsm, emotionally-disturbing, mafia, steamy-romance, violent-love
Read 2 times. Last read September 20, 2017 to September 22, 2017.

I received a copy via Net Galley for an honest review…
3.5 – I am so effed up Stars
I am wrecked… this book wrecked me

description
SERIOUSLY THOUGH, THIS BOOK!
I have a love hate relationship with mafia and drug lord books, and this one was no exception.
The main character Valentina is a hardworking girl who is taking care of her brain-damaged brother juggling school and making ends meet. She is not someone who needs fancy things, just enough to get by. She is a very humble character considering all she is going through. Living check to check, while being in the heart of the ghetto, she is one tough cookie.
One word…. Tiny. That little low-life POS. If I was watching this book relayed trough a movie I would have covered my eyes and ears at the collection of the “taxes” part. Obviously since I could not, I had to push through. Actually now that I think about it, there were A LOT of parts I almost could stomach through. Tough Love, is what this book is all about.
Gabriel, the other main character is a mafia God, who is at the top of the hierarchy. He is still a mystery to me. I really like how the author switches POV’s, had she not did that this book would have sucked. If we only got Valentina’s side of the story, I would have thought of him as a power hungry, egotistical sadist. BUT, because we get a glimpse of his feelings and the fact that he feels one way, but acts another; his contradicting acts/feelings makes him all that more likable.
It was almost frustrating too at times seeing both POV’s. (view spoiler)
As I said previously this book is not for the faint-hearted. There is some very uncomfortable scenes, insinuations of rape, murder and some very dark romantic scenes. Did I mention it is VERY graphic? Normally I would blush with such blatant use of the word womb, (and others) but now I am completely desensitized. It does not even phase me. I am still undecided if I should be concerned or not. There was one specific and uncomfortable moment involving a paddle and a tampon….that I could have done without. Oh and “use of my hair to clean himself off” eh eh…
In some ways the book is different from many others in the mafia/drug lord genre. However, in many ways it is very similar – There were some cliché moments, while there was also Holy Shit I-did-not-see-that-coming moments.
”Like a conditioned animal, my body becomes aroused at the knowledge it will soon be with my captor”

Pa-lease,
description
I wish I could have gotten a better understanding from the family, like the whole “punishing” aspect. It was almost as if the author added it as an after-thought. Like “OH if we add this cuffs and whips it will be more exciting”… Well I guess it kinda did… It was just so out of place. I feel like if he would have stood up for Valentina, instead of having to punish her to prove a point to mommy dearest – that would have been better. But what do I know?
****My damn kindle said I was at 98%, connected it to wifi and BAM I'm only at 75%
So much more has happened, I honestly kinda likes Gabriel, until the whole placebo affect... fucking twat. Not cool. I think I need to lower my rating..
It's like all this "cool" ideas were thrown into a hat, and the author just added them as she saw fit.
Some of the things that came out of their mouths- if you want to know check out my highlights... yikes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dubious.

Finished Reading
September 8, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
September 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
September 8, 2017 – Shelved
September 8, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
September 20, 2017 – Started Reading
September 21, 2017 –
32.0% "Holy Shit. This book is not for the faint-hearted"
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: bdsm
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: emotionally-disturbing
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: mafia
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: steamy-romance
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: violent-love
September 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

B.E.L.L.A.Mc I’m reading it now Meg, and so far, so ok. I like your Review, you’ve covered a lot of ground. I don’t like the ‘mummy boy’ aspect at all. Not with an Alpa Male but am hoping that aspect changes. I got both books from Net Galley too. :) (less)
0 minutes ago · delete

Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog) I am excited to read your review! I liked it, I did. I just was so frustrated! I need to get back on Net Galley and get book two - Holy cliffhanger book 1 was!!

B.E.L.L.A.Mc Just finished it. Talk about 'strangely compelling' lol. ?!
I'm diving into bk2. Gabriel's really got to redeem himself in terms of his mother, Magda or he's had it with me. ;-) He's got to put her in her place; a grave would suit me fine. I'm hooked, aren't I?? Rhetorical.
xx

Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog) It was completely 'strangely compelling'!! I just can't believe the lengths he is going through to keep her.... Seriously. That is a decision that they should have made TOGETHER! Yeah Magda is true mafia brat that I could do without.

B.E.L.L.A.Mc Meg (booksandwinewithmeg.blog) wrote: "It was completely 'strangely compelling'!! I just can't believe the lengths he is going through to keep her.... Seriously. That is a decision that they should have made TOGETHER! Yeah Magda is true..."