Peter O'Brien's Reviews > Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking

Mindware by Richard E. Nisbett

bookshelves: smart-thinking, mta

"We can have complete command over good principles for reasoning in a particular field and yet be unable to apply them to the full panoply of problems that we encounter in everyday life. But these inferential principles can be made more accessible and usable. The key is learning how to frame events in such a way that the relevance of the principles to the solutions of particular problems is made clear, and learning how to code events in such a way that the principles can actually be applied to the events. We don't normally think of forming impressions of an individual's personality as a statistical process consisting of sampling a population of events, but they are exactly that. And framing them in that way makes us both more cautious about some kinds of personality ascriptions and better able to predict the individual's behaviour in the future." - page 11.

Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking is essential reading for anyone who wants to hone their critical thinking, problem-solving and decision making skills.

Throughout the book, Nisbett's displays a great strength of taking all of the head-spinning topics from his professional background, such as statistics and economics, and breaks them down into understandable and relatable forms that can be utilized productively in everyday life.

Overall, I would say that Mindware is essential reading for everyone as it contains knowledge and tools that are of benefit to anyone who wants to live a smart, lucrative and fulfilling life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindware.

September 7, 2017 – Started Reading