Jon-michael's Reviews > Glass

Glass by Ellen Hopkins

Apr 28, 2008

Read in November, 2008

This is the follow-up to Crank and I was a bit skeptical as to how it would play out, since at the end of the first she had supposedly quit the habit. I actually found this one to be a bit more believable in terms of the way her addiction played out, and while it could have been just the same plot re-hashed, it definitely didn't feel that way to me.

This round is a whole lot grittier than the first one--heavier drug use, a ton more swearing, and a ton more sex. More drug dealing, with a stop-off at a whore house, as well. Definitely not a pleasant story, and I'm a bit surprised to see the publisher intended these books for ages 14+!

Hopkins seems to have forgotten a major plot point about Hunter's parentage--she seems to have decided in this book that the real father doesn't know, but in the last book it was clearly stated that he did know. Confusing! It had been a few years between the two books that she wrote them, but those kinds of plot holes always niggle at me.

Overall, though, it's a very well-done story (once again, in wonderful verse format) about the dangers of heavy addiction and the ruining effects it can have on your life. Kristina is kicked out of her home, away from her baby, all because she can't shake the addiction. While these books could definitely read as anti-drug propaganda, Hopkins really does a good job of balancing the "drugs are bad" message with story, characters, and her great verse. Definitely one that got under my skin as I obsessively read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass.

02/11/2017 marked as: read

Judi good review! First paragraph sums it up perfectly.

message 2: by KC (new) - rated it 4 stars

KC Yes, I thought Brendan knew about Kristina having his baby as well.

Caellum Brendan didn't know..she told him she was pregnant and asked for money for an abortion...so he thinks she aborted the baby!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Arend Touché Caellum!!

Melissa Brendan knew she was pregnant with his baby and assumed when he gave her the $500 for the abortion, she had it. He had no idea she had decided to keep the baby and basically just took the money.