Tamara's Reviews > After the Fire

After the Fire by Kathryn Shay

After the Fire was an amazing book! I downloaded it as a free e- book from Amazon. My daughter read it first and insisted we needed the other 2 books in the series! This is not your typical romance novel. First, it centers on a whole family, the Malvaso Family, three of whom are firefighters, Mitch, Jenny and Zach. Second, one plot line centers on Mitch and his marriage, and the women he meets and falls in love with. I generally don't like these kinds of plot lines. I believe in the sanctity of marriage, but in this case I really felt it was the only option for Mitch, and (big for me) he never cheats on his wife, he ends things before he begins them with Meagan.

So, onto the story. There is a huge fire in Hidden Cove, New Yrok where the Malvaso family lives and works. All three Malvaso firefighters are caught in the collapse of the Sinco building, All are injured, but many of their fellow officers are killed. This fire causes them to re-think their lives and decide they need to make some changes, really LIVE their lives and look for their own happiness.
Mitch deciedes he needs to end his loveless marriage and reconnect with his children. His wife, Cynthia is unstable, a horrible mother, self-centered and grasping. His children are out of control. Sneaking out at night,engaging in dangerous behaviors, and rebelling against their mother. Into Mitch's life walks detective Meagan Hale. A transplant from the big city, who just lost her father on the job, and was widowed (also on the job) She is not perfect, in a lot of ways she is as flawed and broken as Mitch is, but, together they can both become whole.

Jenny Malvosa is twice divorced. She feels she will never have a lasting romantic relationship, but she wants a child. She wants her longtime friend Grady to be the "donor", But Grady, feeling the same way wants to make a baby the traditional way and be that babies father too. But, Grandy has a horrible tragedy in his past, the death of his 7 month pregnant wife, and he has a lot of trouble dealing with the changing relationship he and Jenny have. He can't loose her as a friend, she is all he has ever had, but can they have a sexual relationship and still be best friends?

Zach Malvosa is a F**kup! He ruined hsi own life by cheating on his wife and ignoring his kids. He was self centered and stupid. Now he's changed. He sees the mistakes he made in the past and wants to make amends. To reconnect with his family. But, is it too late...?

Than add in the 2 non- firefighter in the family, Paul and Connie, they have always felt separated from their siblings, and are angry and hurt.

When Meagan approaches Mitch with the idea of starting a camp for children who have lost loved ones in the line of duty, both police and firefighters, the project brings the family and the whole town together with a common goal!

This book was an emotional roller coaster, and what a ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Fire.

September 20, 2011 – Shelved
October 6, 2011 – Started Reading
October 6, 2011 –
page 64
October 7, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thanks, I'll look into it.

Tina "IRead2Escape" Thank god you shared that he never actually cheats. I am about 50% through this book. I'm really enjoying it and I love Mitch, can't stand Cindy as a person, wife or mother, and really, really like Meagan. But, I can't stop thinking "don't be a cheater!" It's really taking away from the story for me. I am so against cheating. Thank you, thank you. Hopefully, now I can enjoy the rest and let go of my neurosis.