Anastasia's Reviews > A Wolf at the Table

Apr 28, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, memoirbio, non-fiction
Recommended for: sandra, pamela
Read in July, 2008

What a sad little book. Burroughs' descriptions of trying so hard to get his father's love and attention just broke my heart. I read this in a few hours, but it made me very curious about the rest of his family-- his mother and brother are both authors, too.

I think anyone who is a parent might find this book interesting. Burroughs does a great job of reminding us how even very, very young children feel. His retelling of his childhood feelings about his parents made me ponder how my son will ultimately be impacted by his relationships with me and his father.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wolf at the Table.

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Aug 04, 2008 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Anastasia,
I have been wondering if my mom knows how do I feel been 13 years far from her. There is no night where I won't fall asleep thinking if she imagines how many nights I cry 'cause she wasn't there.
I ask myself if she has any idea about what do I think about her, if she thinks the love I'm giving to her is real "love of daugther and mother" or is it the custom of calling her "mother"?

but still somehow I wanna feel the(her) love I never had. Anastasia, would you believe me if I say that I'm 20 years old, but sometimes I feel like going back to 10, and I rest my head on her knees just to feel her hand touching my face, and in the end all I get is "nothing". Would you believe that I slowly step next to her and embrace her, but she doesn't move, and then I whisper to her ear "you still have that same aroma that you had lats time I saw you", and all she says is "Do you remember?", and she gives one step back without looking me in the eyes.
Probably she forgot I'm her daughter, and that doesn't matter if I'm 20 but I still need that love I never had, and all this and more, makes me think I'll never get back that love, and because of that I'm afraid to be a mother just like her...

message 2: by dominique (new) - added it

dominique great review. thank you for sharing your comments. makes me want to read it now. hope all is well with you and your family.