Susan's Reviews > The Token Yank

The Token Yank by A.J. Truman

bookshelves: arc, gbr, mm

I mostly liked this because of Rafe. Rafe was super awesome! Eamonn was a bit too hesitant for me and the romance just not that romantic. But I still ended up enjoying most of it. Because Rafe! ❤❤❤

Rafe is a 19 year old American student who desperately wants to study abroad. That’s why he is super excited to be in the UK for the next 3 months. He wants to see new places, meet new people. Do new people. Because he desperately wants to get rid of his pesky virginity.

When he meets his new flatmates, he immediately likes them. Heath and Louisa seem to be having an on and off thing, and Eamonn is recovering from a broken heart from his last boyfriend.

But no matter how hard Rafe tries not to like Eamonn (that way), the two are drawn to each other like moths to a flame. And it’s not long before they are kissing (or should I say snogging?) and then having all kind of sexy times.

But…. Rafe is only there for 3 months. So goodbye seems inevitable…

As I said, I loved Rafe. He was so incredibly positive about everything.

“Holy shit.” He was like Two Face from Batman. One side of him was normal Rafe; the other was red, blotchy, puffy, scarred.
“It’ll heal,” she said. “First, black and blue. Then it’ll heal.”
“I’m going to look so cool!”
Louisa and Eamonn traded a surprised look.
“I’ve never been in a fight. I’ve never thrown a punch or stood up for myself like that.” Rafe felt power infused in his hands. “I’m kind of a bad ass.”

I did get a little tired eventually of Eamonn being so careful. He didn’t want to get his heart broken, but that meant he constantly held back. I just wanted more romance from his side.

Of course he did make up for that at the end, but there was a lot of heartbreak before that. I don’t think heartbreak is the right word, because this never felt extremely angsty. It remained pretty fluffy overall, but I still think the break up stuff could have been prevented if Eamonn just got his head out of his ass.

And I had a hard time liking the secondary characters because they had their own drama going on from the start. I don't like that kind of drama at all (being a couple, then friends, then friends with benefits, breaking up, then a couple again). I wasn't too sure why the author decided to add this secondary drama in the first place.

But despite these few niggles, this was still an enjoyable read.

------------------------------

An ARC of The Token Yank was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This review has been cross-posted at Gay Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Token Yank.

September 6, 2017 – Shelved
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 11, 2017 – Started Reading
September 12, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 13, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
September 13, 2017 – Shelved as: gbr
September 13, 2017 – Shelved as: mm

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Awesome review sweets ;) xoxo

message 2: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth Wonderful. *adds

Judith Great review.All the love for Rafe....such a cutie!

Susan Wendy wrote: "Awesome review sweets ;) xoxo"

Elsbeth wrote: "Wonderful. *adds"

Thanks girls!

Susan Judith wrote: "Great review.All the love for Rafe....such a cutie!"

Wasn't he adorable? :D